Cooking fire leaves man burned over 80-90% of his body

NEWPORT, AR (KAIT) –A home owner was burned over 80-90% if his body in an early morning fire in Newport.

According to NewportFire Chief Alan Gansz, the home owner was cooking in the kitchen when he fellasleep. The homeowner received second and third degree burns to over 80-90% ofhis body.

He was taken to aLittle Rock hospital. His condition is unknown at this time.

Police say around4:30 Friday morning, a call came into dispatch about a house being on fire inthe 1400 block of Dill Street.

When fire crews arrived on scene, the home wascompletely covered with flames. Firefighters were able to get the firecontained in about 30 minutes.

Region 8 News will continue to track this story andbring you more details as soon as they're available.

Copyright 2012 KAIT. Allrights reserved.