From Harding University
Arkansas Tech's Jessica Weatherford and Harding's Zach Roddenberry received the
Great American Conference Women's and Men's Basketball Players of the Week for
their performances in the fourth week of the 2012-13 regular
GAC WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Jessica Weatherford, Arkansas Tech, F, Sr., Bonnerdale, Ark.
Weatherford captured her first GAC Women's Player of the Week honor after she poured in a career-high 32 points in the Golden Suns' GAC conference opener, an 81-61 win against Southern Nazarene. Her previous high, 26, came in her freshman season. She added 12 rebounds as she outdueled with SNU's Oumoul Thiam who scored 29 points for the Crimson Storm.
GAC MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK – Zach Roddenberry, Harding, F, Sr., Conyers, Ga.
Roddenberry claimed his second Player of the Week honor of the season as he led the Bisons to three victories. He opened the week with 19 points and 13 rebounds in a 68-63 victory against No. 12 Christian Brothers. On Thursday, against undefeated Northeastern State, he scored 12 points – on 5-for-6 shooting – and grabbed nine rebounds in a 65-63 win. In Harding's GAC opener, he recorded his second 30-point game with 32 points against Southern Nazarene. That game marked the first time in his career that he made 10 or more field goals and 10 or more free throws in the same game.
NOTABLE WOMEN'S NOMINEES
- Michelle Fisher, G, Jr., Southwestern Oklahoma State (Connected on 7-of-11 on 3-pt tries; Averaged 19.5 PPG, 8.5 RPG)
- Lindsay McCown, F, Sr., East Central (Averaged 12.0 PPG and 6.0 RPG in three games; shot 56.0 percent from the field)
- Arielle Saunders, F, So., Harding (Registered a double-double, 19 points and 11 rebounds against Southern Nazarene)
- Destiny Smith, F, Sr., Henderson State (Averaged 18.0 rebounds for the week including a GAC season-high 21 vs ECU)
- Bailey Welch, G, Sr., Southeastern Oklahoma State (Posted two 20-point games – 21 vs HSU and 20 vs OBU)
NOTABLE MEN'S NOMINEES
- Colby Carr, G, Jr., East Central (Averaged 13.0 PPG and 8.3 RPG in 3 games; vs Langston, notched 1st career double-double)
- Dominick Cornelius, G, Sr., Southwestern Oklahoma State (Scored 29 against SAU; shot 60.8 percent in two wins)
- Andrew Ensley, F, Sr., Henderson State (Led Reddies to their first 6-0 start since '03-'04 with 20.5 PPG on 64.3 pct shooting)
- Jonathan Freemyer, F, Sr., Northwestern Oklahoma State (NWOSU opened 2-0; averaged 18.5 PPG, 5.5 APG, shot 57.7 pct)
- Kori Forge, G, Sr., Arkansas-Monticello (Averaged 22.0 points per game for the week)
- Chris Roussell, G, Sr., Southeastern Oklahoma State (Averaged 20.0 PPG and 7.0 RPG on 60.0 pct shooting from the floor)
- Jared Williamson, G, Sr., Arkansas Tech (Scored 22 points on 9-of-15 shooting in GAC opener vs Southern Nazarene)