Driver who hit Longview police officer pleads guilty, sentenced - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

BREAKING NEWS

Driver who hit Longview police officer pleads guilty, sentenced

Leigh Ann Snyder addresses Ramon Dominguez in court on Friday Leigh Ann Snyder addresses Ramon Dominguez in court on Friday
LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -

Ramon Antonio Dominguez, the man who hit the patrol car of former Longview Police Officer Leigh Ann Snyder, pleaded guilty on Friday morning to two counts of intoxicated assault with a vehicle causing serious bodily injury.

On December 11, 2011, Dominguez lost control of his vehicle and hit Snyder's patrol car head-on. Snyder also had a civilian passenger in the car with her.

Dominguez was sentenced to twelve years in prison following his plea.

"I'd not even seen him in person and it just kind of brought all the feelings back," said Snyder.

Supported by numerous police officers, Snyder listened to Dominguez as he gave an emotional apology.

"I just want to say I'm sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen. I know you can't forgive me but I pray one day you do. I messed up your life , I messed up my life. Words can't express how bad I feel.  To my mom, I'm sorry," Dominguez said.

Finally it was Snyder's turn to address Dominguez.

"My happiness was taken away, there's nothing I wanted more than just heal and get back to work. I forgive you," she said.

Snyder challenged Dominguez to use the experience.

"I challenge you to learn from this and go out and educate others," she said.

Snyder and her passenger were responding to a burglary alarm when the accident occurred. Snyder's injuries were the worst and she had to undergo multiple surgeries.

She was let go by the Longview Police Department in December because she missed 12 months of full-time work in a two year period.

Related Stories

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

• breaking

Crash closes part of HWY 63

Crash closes part of HWY 63

Friday, April 27 2018 2:07 AM EDT2018-04-27 06:07:31 GMT
    Friday, April 27 2018 2:09 AM EDT2018-04-27 06:09:34 GMT
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)

The Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office confirmed a crash on Highway 63 and Highway 412 near Portia.

Sheriff's office investigating shooting in Independence Co.

Wednesday, April 25 2018 10:02 PM EDT2018-04-26 02:02:07 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 11:11 PM EDT2018-04-27 03:11:22 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

The Independence County Sheriff's Office is investigating a shooting that took place Wednesday night.

Man assaults victim with pistol, police say

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:36 PM EDT2018-04-27 01:36:29 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 10:45 PM EDT2018-04-27 02:45:51 GMT
    Logan Robertson (Source: Greene Co. Sheriff's Office via Vinelink)Logan Robertson (Source: Greene Co. Sheriff's Office via Vinelink)

A man is accused of hitting a victim as they attempted to call for help, Paragould police said Thursday.