Town of Tuckerman grieving - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Train tragedy leaves Tuckerman grieving

TUCKERMAN, AR (KAIT) - After Friday night's accident, the town of Tuckerman is grieving for the families of a young man who was killed and two others that were injured.

"My heart goes out to the families because this is such a tragedy that has happened and I believe the town itself feels real sad," said Tuckerman resident, John Brown.

Residents are wanting to do anything they can to help the families affected by this awful tragedy.

"I don't exactly know what to do to help. I know our church is probably going to do something," Brown said.

When tragedies like this happen, John Brown said it could have been anyone and that his heart is deeply saddened for members of their family and their friends.

"It could have been one of my children or grandchildren that this happened to and I know how I would feel if this happened to me. My heart just goes out for them," Brown said

The danger of the railroad crossing has some hoping that after what has happened to the town will do something about making it a safer intersection.

"We do not have any arms on that crossing. I think I saw some surveyors there so maybe they're in progress of putting one in," said Tuckerman resident, Brittany Johnston.

A signal to make drivers aware that a train is coming would help residents feel better about preventing future accidents.

"I think it would make everyone really happy. Their hearts would feel a lot lighter," Johnston said.

The two young men injured were taken to Harris Hospital in Newport and Children's Hospital in Little Rock.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Vigil held for victims of domestic violence

Thursday, September 21 2017 11:22 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:22:43 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 11:39 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:39:16 GMT

Arkansas State University wrapped up its Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Awareness week with a special vigil dedicated to victims who have died because of relationship violence.

Police department to get new patrol units

Thursday, September 21 2017 11:19 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:19:58 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 11:25 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:25:48 GMT

The Tuckerman Police Department fleet will soon see some upgrades after the city was awarded a $50,000 grant.

Lyft headed to Jonesboro

Thursday, September 21 2017 9:54 PM EDT2017-09-22 01:54:53 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 10:39 PM EDT2017-09-22 02:39:10 GMT
    (Source: Lyft via Twitter)(Source: Lyft via Twitter)

A nationally known ride-sharing company is now operating in Jonesboro as well as several other cities in the state.