Town of Tuckerman grieving - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Train tragedy leaves Tuckerman grieving

TUCKERMAN, AR (KAIT) - After Friday night's accident, the town of Tuckerman is grieving for the families of a young man who was killed and two others that were injured.

"My heart goes out to the families because this is such a tragedy that has happened and I believe the town itself feels real sad," said Tuckerman resident, John Brown.

Residents are wanting to do anything they can to help the families affected by this awful tragedy.

"I don't exactly know what to do to help. I know our church is probably going to do something," Brown said.

When tragedies like this happen, John Brown said it could have been anyone and that his heart is deeply saddened for members of their family and their friends.

"It could have been one of my children or grandchildren that this happened to and I know how I would feel if this happened to me. My heart just goes out for them," Brown said

The danger of the railroad crossing has some hoping that after what has happened to the town will do something about making it a safer intersection.

"We do not have any arms on that crossing. I think I saw some surveyors there so maybe they're in progress of putting one in," said Tuckerman resident, Brittany Johnston.

A signal to make drivers aware that a train is coming would help residents feel better about preventing future accidents.

"I think it would make everyone really happy. Their hearts would feel a lot lighter," Johnston said.

The two young men injured were taken to Harris Hospital in Newport and Children's Hospital in Little Rock.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

• breaking

Police, firefighters respond to building fire

Police, firefighters respond to building fire

Friday, June 22 2018 10:35 PM EDT2018-06-23 02:35:05 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 10:39 PM EDT2018-06-23 02:39:52 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

According to Jonesboro police dispatch, both Jonesboro police and firefighters have responded to a building fire in the 100 block of East Johnson Avenue in Jonesboro.

A-State to add musical theatre to degree program

Friday, June 22 2018 8:00 PM EDT2018-06-23 00:00:34 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 10:15 PM EDT2018-06-23 02:15:29 GMT

The introduction of musical theatre as part of the Department of Theatre at Arkansas State University will provide students in the field with a key opportunity to learn more on the emerging field, university officials said Friday.

Prospective highway projects list released by state

Friday, June 22 2018 8:32 PM EDT2018-06-23 00:32:30 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 10:12 PM EDT2018-06-23 02:12:07 GMT
    (Source: ARDOT via Twitter)(Source: ARDOT via Twitter)
    (Source: ARDOT via Twitter)(Source: ARDOT via Twitter)

The public will have an opportunity to let their voice be heard on a series of state highway projects in Arkansas over the next several years.