ASU students stay clear of the flu - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

ASU students stay clear of the flu

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The flu has become a nationwide problem and for some college students they're hoping to have nothing to do with it.

"I try to keep like a small container of germ x with me so I'll just use that on my hands and if I go to the café I'll use the dispensers they have," said ASU student, Desiree Fowler.

For many college students, when your room is shared with someone else, you're dealing with double the germs and the chance of catching the flu.

"Back in my dorm I make sure that I have those Lysol wipes and I wipe everything down," said Fowler.

Fowler said that what a lot of people don't think to clean are their cell phones. She makes sure to clean hers often.

"I have an iPhone so I make sure I wipe that down too cause I know I'm constantly touching that," said Fowler.

For Rugby player, Jamelle Shaw, remembering his mom's advice is key from catching any sickness.

"One of the things I'm doing is you know you hear your mom always tell you keep your fingers away from your mouth," said Shaw.

After being around his teammates he makes sure to go straight for soap and water. He said washing his hands helps keep him from getting sick.

"After practice I make sure I clean my hands," Shaw said.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

• breaking

1 killed in Blytheville accident, another killed in shooting

1 killed in Blytheville accident, another killed in shooting

Tuesday, May 30 2017 12:00 AM EDT2017-05-30 04:00:53 GMT
    Tuesday, May 30 2017 1:27 AM EDT2017-05-30 05:27:24 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

Blytheville police have confirmed two people have died Monday night at two separate scenes.

• breaking

Suspect named in Kennett shooting

Suspect named in Kennett shooting

Monday, May 29 2017 2:51 PM EDT2017-05-29 18:51:21 GMT
    Monday, May 29 2017 11:38 PM EDT2017-05-30 03:38:53 GMT
    Braylon Johnson (Source: Kennett Police Department)Braylon Johnson (Source: Kennett Police Department)

According to Detective John Higgins of the Kennett Police Department, authorities are looking for a suspect in connection with a shooting Monday on South Jackson Street.

Motorcyclists bring awareness to veterans cemetery

Monday, May 29 2017 10:35 PM EDT2017-05-30 02:35:39 GMT
    Monday, May 29 2017 11:06 PM EDT2017-05-30 03:06:16 GMT

The second annual Memorial Day Honor Ride was hosted Monday.

The second annual Memorial Day Honor Ride was hosted Monday.