Good Samaritan who finds, returns money: 'This is the only way y - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Good Samaritan who finds, returns money: 'This is the only way you can live'

KILGORE, TX (KLTV) -

It is a scenario that causes one to ask, what would you do? That was the situation Martha Maynard found herself in when she found a deposit bag of money in the parking lot of the Kilgore McDonald's.

Tuesday around noon, Martha Maynard, a 65-year-old Kilgore resident, was walking her grandson into McDonald's when he noticed something on the ground.

"I got out and looked down and I didn't pay attention to it. He looked down and said, 'Oh wow!' I took another look at it and it was a bag full of money," Maynard said.

It was a deposit bag with more than $1,000 in it.

"50s, 20s, 1s, everything. It was in a plastic baggie that was sealed and I knew it had to come from somewhere," Maynard said.

Maynard didn't think twice about it. She walked right into the McDonald's.

"So I went into McDonald's and said, 'you guys will never guess what God gave me. He gave me a bag full of money,'" Maynard said.

Her joke was met with a huge sigh of relief from the assistant manager, who said one of his employees had accidentally dropped it. McDonalds declined to comment on this story.

It was a situation that may have caused some to pause, but Maynard's conscience would never let her.

"I'm a person who has a conscience to my life. I want my grandbabies and great-grand babies, I have 13 grandbabies and 3 great grand babies, and I want them all to know, this is the only way you can live," Maynard said.

Even though Maynard could have used the money, she said her integrity is worth much more.

"God made you who you are and your word is all you've got," Maynard said.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Helmets and Heels event educates women on football program

Thursday, July 27 2017 11:38 PM EDT2017-07-28 03:38:36 GMT
    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:43 PM EDT2017-07-28 03:43:26 GMT

Lady fans of the Red Wolves in Region 8 got a chance to learn more about the football program Thursday at the 6th Annual Helmets and Heels event.

Group created to help during emergencies

Thursday, July 27 2017 10:32 PM EDT2017-07-28 02:32:36 GMT
    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:39 PM EDT2017-07-28 03:39:31 GMT
    A group in Randolph County is being formed to help people during emergencies. (Source: KAIT)A group in Randolph County is being formed to help people during emergencies. (Source: KAIT)

A group of volunteers that helped residents during recent flooding in Randolph County is now working to create a permanent recovery group.

GR8Job: Tournament raises money for Weatherford Memorial Fund

Thursday, July 27 2017 10:26 PM EDT2017-07-28 02:26:54 GMT
    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:37 PM EDT2017-07-28 03:37:08 GMT
    A tournament honoring Lt. Patrick Weatherford raised $6,500 for a memorial fund in his honor. (Source: Tournament organizers)A tournament honoring Lt. Patrick Weatherford raised $6,500 for a memorial fund in his honor. (Source: Tournament organizers)

A golf tournament on Thursday helped to raise money for a Memorial Fund for a fallen police officer.