CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. (ASU) – The Arkansas State women's tennis team competed against regional rival Southeast Missouri Saturday and improved to 2-1 on the young season as the Red Wolves took down the Redhawks 6-1.
Sophomore Tamara Slijepcevic improved to 3-0 on the year and now has a 12-match winning streak as she defeated Heather Robinson 4-6, 6-0, 10-3. Junior Janie Nowland was victorious in her match against Nikole Novikova by a score of 6-2, 6-3.
Junior Biljana Miloshevska defeated Melissa Martin in straight sets 6-4, 6-4 while freshman Chiara Stefanov was also victorious in straight sets 6-3, 6-2 over Lauren Schaper. Senior Ioana Teu lost her match to Jessica Courtnell 6-3, 6-0 to give SEMO its only point on the day. Sophomore Jess Heeps-Eriksen won by default.
In doubles action, ASU's pair of Slijepcevic/Miloshevska won 8-4 over Courtnell/Martin while the A-State duo of Teu/Nowland fell in a tough match 9-8 against Robinson/Novikova. Heeps-Eriksen and Sofia Krsmanovic won their doubles match by default since Arkansas State had already clinched the overall match victory.
"It was nice to get a win today, especially since we played on two indoor carpet courts," said ASU tennis coach Marina Engelbrecht. "This was a good confidence builder before two important conference matches."
A-State's next match is Friday, Feb. 22 against conference opponent Florida Atlantic. Action in Boca Raton is set to begin at 1:00 p.m.
1. Tamara Slijepcevic (ASU) def. Heather Robinson (SEMO) 4-6, 6-0, 10-3
2. Janie Nowland (ASU) def. Nikole Novikova (SEMO) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jessica Courtnell (SEMO) def. Ioana Teu (ASU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Biljana Miloshevska (ASU) def. Melissa Martin (SEMO) 6-4, 6-4
5. Chiara Stefanov (ASU) def. Lauren Shaper (SEMO) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jess Heeps-Eriksen (ASU) def. Elizabeth Nyenwe (SEMO) by default
1. Heather Robinson/Nikole Novikova (SEMO) def. Ioana Teu/Janie Nowland (ASU) 9-8
2. Tamara Slijepcevic/Biljana Miloshevska (ASU) def. Jessica Courtnell/Melissa Martin 8-4
3. Sofia Krsmanovic/Jess Heeps-Eriksen (ASU) def. Lauren Schaper/Elizabeth Nyenwe by default