Feb. 19: Arkansas State (3-0) at Memphis (1-2)
Feb 20: Arkansas State (3-0) vs Lyon (8-2)
Dates: Feb. 19-20
First Pitch: Tuesday: 4 p.m.
Wednesday: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Tuesday: Memphis, Tenn.
Wednesday: Jonesboro, Ar.
Stadium: Tue: FedEx Park (2,000)
Wed: Tomlinson Stadium(1,200)
Radio: East Arkansas Broadcasters
95.3 FM The Ticket
970 AM KNEA
Radio Talent: Brad Bobo (Tuesday)
Matt Stolz (Wednesday)
vs Memphis 53-89-1 (ASU Trails)
vs Lyon 9-1 (ASU Leads)
Raffo Record vs Memphis : 5-3
Raffo Record vs Lyon 1-0
Online Audio: AStateRedWolves.com
Live Stats: AStateRedWolves.com
LEADING OFF: Arkansas State will play a pair of midweek games this week, beginning with a trip to Memphis on Tuesday to take on the Tigers at FedEx Park at 4 p.m. The Red Wolves will return home on Wednesday to take on Lyon College at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday's game has also been desiginated as "Web Wednesday" with fans having an opportunity to win prizes by following Arkansas State Athletics Department at Facebook.com/AStateRedWolves or on Twitter @AStateRedWolves.
THE TEAMS: Arkansas State is coming off a three-game series sweep of Bradley that saw A-State score 32 runs and give up just eight. John Koch struckout a career-high 11 batters on Friday night and as a team the Red Wolves struck out a school record 19 batters. The Red Wolves are off to their first 3-0 start since the 1997 season and opened the year with a three-game series sweep for the first time since 1971. The A-State pitching staff combined for 37 strikeouts over the weekend, including a 2.67 ERA and just seven walks.
Memphis enters the game with 1-2 record after a pair of losses to Illinois State over the weekend. The Tigers are hitting .250 as a team and have a team ERA of 3.33.
Lyon College enters the game on Wednesday with an 8-2 record and having won seven straight games. The Scots are hitting .283 as a team with 61 runs scored on the year. Their pitching staff has a team ERA of 2.42 ERA in 78 innings of work this season.
ASU/MEMPHIS SERIES HISTORY
• Memphis leads the all-time series 89-53-1, including a 9-7 victory over A-State at FedEx Park last season.
• The Tigers will start left-hander Michael Wills, who started both games against ASU last season.
• By design A-State used eight arms in Memphis last season, with each throwing one inning. Memphis jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first two innings, and led 7-0 before ASU scored its lone run in the seventh.
• ASU earned a 4-2 victory over Memphis in Jonesboro on April 10 last year, on a night where John Koch tied the all-time record for saves in a season at ASU.
SCOUTING THE TIGERS
• Memphis returns 20 letterman from its 2012 squad, including five position players.
• Derrick Thomas returns after hitting .273 last seasin with four home runs and 37 RBIs.
• Sam Moll went 5-5 in 2012 with a 3.48 ERA and 59 strike outs.
• The Tigers lost Jacob Wilson to the MLB draft in the 10 round to the Cardinals. Wilson hit .320 with 17 home runs and 64 RBIs.
ASU/LYON SERIES HISTORY
• ASU leads the all-time series 9-1 over Lyon.
• The last time ASU and Lyon played was in 2011 with A-State earning a 12-5 victory.
• This is only the third game between the two schools since the 2000 season.
• The series dates back to the 1950 season.
SCOUTING THE SCOTS
• Lyon has a .283 team batting average and has scored 61 runs in 11 games this season.
• The pitching staff has an ERA of 2.42 in 78 innings of work this season.
PITCHING STAFF SHINES
• The A-State pitching staff recorded a school record 19 strike outs in the 10-5 victory over Bradley on Opening night on Feb. 15.
• The previous record was 18 strikeouts, which ASU did twice. The first was in 1995 against Memphis and the second was against Kansas State in 1960.
• On opening weekend, A-State recorded 37 strikeouts and allowed just eight runs and walked 7 batters in 27 innings.
KOCH SETS CAREER HIGH
• In his first career start, senior John Koch struck out a career-high 11 batters on Feb. 15.
• Koch pitched five innings, gave up three runs on nine hits to earn his first win as a starter.
GRANTHAM MAKES MOST OF FIRST START
• True freshman Adam Grantham earned his first career win on Feb. 17 in a 12-2 victory over Bradley.
• Grantham threw four innings, struck out five and did not allow any runs in his first career start.
• Grantham was a 32nd round draft selection of the Atlanta Braves coming out of high school.
BAKER GOES DEEP
• True freshman Austin Baker hit a home run on the first pitch he saw in his collegiate career on Feb. 16
• Baker went 3-for-3 on the day and was a triple from the cycle. He had three RBIs on the day and was walked once.
OPENING SERIES SWEEP
• ASU recorded a three-game series sweep for the first time since 1971 and for only the second time in school history.
ASU IN HOME OPENERS
• Arkansas State won its 23rd striaght home opener dating back to the 1991 season.
ASU IN SEASON OPENERS
• The Red Wolves are 33-32 all-time on opening day.
• The Red Wolves are 3-2 in season openers under head coach Tommy Raffo, defeating Texas 4-3 in 2009 and Southern Illinois 14-5 in 2010.
• Arkansas State senior right-hander John Koch notched a rare four strike out inning in the Red Wolves 10-5 victory over Bradley Feb. 15. After Bradley's David Compitello reached on a dropped third strike out in the fourth inning with one out, Koch proceeded to strike out two more batters to end the inning.