From Arkansas State University
The Arkansas State women's tennis team improved to 3-5 and ended a four-match losing skid with a 6-1 victory over Evansville (6-6) Saturday. A-State won all six singles matches to earn their points.
All A-State singles players won their respective matches in straight sets. Tamara Slijepcevic defeated Natasha James 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 1 spot, while Janie Nowland secured another ASU point with a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Marketa Trousilova in the No. 2 spot.
Biljana Miloshevska continued ASU's winning ways with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Marina Moreno. Ioana Teu picked up her first singles victory of the season with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Mina Milovic. Jess Heeps-Eriksen had little trouble with Gaby Fifer in a 6-0, 6-0 victory and Sofia Krsmanovic won her first singles match of the year with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Emily Richardson.
Evansville was able to take the doubles point though as they swept all three matches.
"This was a great win for us," ASU head coach Marina Engelbrecht said. "We worked hard this week on being tougher mentally and playing as a team. We did that today and I'm proud of my team."
A-State will be back in action for another home match March 24 as they take on Southern Illinois-Carbondale at 11:00 a.m.
1. Tamara Slijepcevic (ASU) def. Natasha James (EVANS.) 6-4, 6-2
2. Janie Nowland (ASU) def. Marketa Trousilova (EVANS.) 7-5, 6-4
3. Biljana Miloshevska (ASU) def. Marina Moreno (EVANS.) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ioana Teu (ASU) def. Mina Milovic (EVANS.) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jess Heeps-Eriksen (ASU) def. Gaby Fifer (EVANS.) 6-0, 6-0
6. Sofia Krsmanovic (ASU) def. Emily Richardson (EVANS.) 6-1, 7-5
1. Natasha James/Marketa Trousilova (EVANS.) def. Ioana Teu/Janie Nowland (ASU) 9-7
2. Kelsey Costales/Marina Moreno (EVANS.) def. Tamara Slijepcevic/Biljana Miloshevska (ASU) 8-1