Snake blamed for burning down home - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Snake blamed for burning down home

Deputy Randall Baggett with the Bowie County Sheriff's Office says the burning snake went into the brush pile and the brush pile caught the home on fire. Deputy Randall Baggett with the Bowie County Sheriff's Office says the burning snake went into the brush pile and the brush pile caught the home on fire.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Body found in I-55 Ark. ditch

    Body found in I-55 Ark. ditch

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:15 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:15:02 GMT
    (WMC) – Arkansas State Police are on the scene of a report of a body found near the Interstate 55 exit to Jericho, Arkansas, which is about 17 miles from Memphis. Reports are a body may have been found
    A body was found Thursday near the Interstate 55 exit to Jericho, Arkansas, which is about 17 miles from Memphis.
  • Man arrested for lighting woman on fire

    Man arrested for lighting woman on fire

    Thursday, July 31 2014 3:56 PM EDT2014-07-31 19:56:54 GMT
    A Stone County man is in jail accused of pouring gasoline on a woman and then lighting her on fire.
    A Stone County man is in jail accused of pouring gasoline on a woman and then lighting her on fire.
  • Goldman Sachs downgrades Walmart stock

    Goldman Sachs downgrades Walmart stock

    Thursday, July 31 2014 4:11 AM EDT2014-07-31 08:11:05 GMT

    Although it posts close to half a trillion dollars in annual sales, Walmart has seen sales drop for five straight quarters.

    Although it posts close to half a trillion dollars in annual sales, Walmart has seen sales drop for five straight quarters.

LIBERTY EYLAU, TX (KSLA) -

Authorities believe a homeowner's response to finding a snake in her yard may have led to the fire that destroyed her house Wednesday.

The fire sparked at a home on Will Smith Road in the Liberty Eylau area of Bowie County, TX just before 7 p.m.

"While cleaning up, she saw snake, threw gasoline on the snake, lit the snake on fire," said Deputy Randall Baggett with the Bowie County Sheriff's Office. "The snake went into the brush pile and the brush pile caught the home on fire."

Despite the efforts of several fire departments that responded to the scene, the flames completely engulfed the home. It is a complete loss. A neighboring home was also damaged on one side.

Liberty Eylau Fire Chief David Wesslehoft says they are still investigating the fire, but that it's not unusual for a burning animal to spread a fire.

"Yes, it could happen with rabbits and big field mice. Once they start burning the grass, they get out of their hole, they have been known to catch fire and then take off."

Still, the chief says, a fire started by a burning snake is a first for him.

There has been no word from officials on whether charges will be filed.

Copyright 2013 KSLA. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.