From Arkansas State University
The Arkansas State women's tennis team used five wins in singles play to power past Nicholls State (8-11) by a score of 5-2 at the Colonel Tennis Complex in Thibodaux, La. Saturday afternoon. The Red Wolves now stand at 5-6 on the season.
A-State's Tamara Slijepcevic improved her winning streak to four matches as she defeated Marie Aubert in straight sets 7-5, 6-1. Biljana Miloshevska topped Isla Brock by a count of 6-1, 6-2 and Ioana Teu secured another point for the Red Wolves as she was victorious over Eva Castiglioni in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.
Jess Heeps-Eriksen returned to her winning ways by defeating Emma Pitre 6-2, 6-4 and Sofia Krsmanovic finished out the scoring for ASU with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Catherine Gauthier. Nicholls State was only able to gain one win in singles play behind Natalia Cardiff's win over Janie Nowland in straight sets 6-1, 6-4.
The Colonels also won the doubles point when they won two of the three matches. Cardiff/Brock defeated A-State's duo of Nowland/Teu by a score of 8-2 and Castiglioni/Aubert topped ASU's pair of Miloshevska/Chiara Stefanov by a count of 8-5. Slijepcevic/Heeps-Eriksen defeated NSU's pair of Pitre/Gauthier 8-2 to improve to 2-0 as a pair this season.
"I'm proud of how the team turned it around from yesterday and played as a team," ASU tennis coach Marina Engelbrecht said. "I loved the energy and desire we showed today."
The Red Wolves conclude its busy weekend Sunday with a match against the Cowgirls of McNeese State. First serve is set for noon as ASU attempts to win two out of three matches on its Louisiana road swing.
1. Tamara Slijepcevic (ASU) def. Marie Aubert (NICH) 7-5, 6-1
2. Natalia Cardiff (NICH) def. Janie Nowland (ASU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Biljana Miloshevska (ASU) def. Isla Brock (NICH) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ioana Teu (ASU) def. Eva Castiglioni (NICH) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jess Heeps-Eriksen (ASU) def. Emma Pitre (NICH) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sofia Krsmanovic (ASU) def. Catherine Gauthier (NICH) 6-4, 6-3
1. Natalia Cardiff/Isla Brock (NICH) def. Janie Nowland/Ioana Teu (ASU) 8-2
2. Tamara Slijepcevic/Jess Heeps-Eriksen (ASU) def. Emma Pitre/Catherine Gauthier (NICH) 8-2