MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (ASU) — The Arkansas State women's tennis team dropped its second match in a row Sunday as the Red Wolves fell to conference opponent Middle Tennessee State by a score of 6-1.
The Red Wolves are now 5-8 on the season and 0-5 against Sun Belt opponents. The Blue Raiders improved to 9-9 on the season and hold a 10-5 series advantage over A-State dating back to 1985.
Tamara Slijepcevic was able to secure ASU's only point on the day as she won in straight sets over Irina Constantinide 6-3, 6-1.
A-State's No. 1 doubles pair of Ioana Teu/Janie Nowland defeated MTSU's pair of Nayara Moraes/Constantinide 8-4, but neither one of ASU's other doubles pairs were able to win to secure the doubles point. Slijepcevic/Jess Heeps-Eriksen fell to Yuiri Nomoto/Flavia Nagayama by a score of 8-3, while Biljana Miloshevska/Sofia Krsmanovic lost to Alexandra Torres/Carla Nava 8-3.
Nowland won the first set against Nomoto but couldn't win the next two sets as she lost 3-6, 6-2, 12-10. Miloshevska was defeated by Nagayama in straight sets 6-3, 6-2 and Teu was also a straight set victim as she lost to Moraes 6-2, 6-1. Heeps-Eriksen put up a good effort but fell short in her match against Nava 6-2, 5-7, 11-9, while fellow Australian Krsmanovic lost in straight sets to Torres 6-3, 6-2.
"I'm not happy with today's match," ASU tennis coach Marina Engelbrecht said. "You have to show up ready to compete and we have to have tennis as our number one priority. We need to reevaluate ourselves and try to improve for the final two matches of the regular season."
A-State returns to action April 10 against in-state rival Arkansas-Little Rock. First serve is set for 3:00 p.m. in Little Rock.
1. Slijepcevic, Tamara (ASU) def. Constantinide, Irina (MT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nomoto, Yuiri (MT) def. Nowland, Janie (ASU) 3-6, 6-2, 12-10
3. Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Miloshevska, Biljana (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Moraes, Nayara (MT) def. Teu, Ioana (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nava, Carla (MT) def. Hepps-Eriksen, Jess (ASU) 6-2, 5-7, 11-9
6. Torres, Alexandra (MT) def. Krsmanovic, Sofia (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Teu, Ioana/Nowland, Janie (ASU) def. Moraes, Nayara/Constantinide, Irina (MT) 8-4
2. Nomoto, Yuiri/Nagayama, Flavia (MT) def. Slijepcevic, Tamara/Hepps-Eriksen, Jess (ASU) 8-3
3. Nava, Carla/Torres, Alexandra (MT) def. Miloshevska, Biljana/Krsmanovic, Sofia (ASU) 8-3