ARKANSAS STATE (19-14, 6-6 SBC) vs SOUTH ALABAMA (24-10, 7-5 SBC)
Date: April 12-14, 2013
First Pitch: Friday 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, 1:00 p.m.
Location: Jonesboro, Ark.
Stadium: Tomlinson Stadium (1,200)
Radio: East Arkansas Broadcasters
95.3 FM The Ticket
970 AM KNEA
Radio Talent: Matt Stolz
ASU vs USA: 22-55 (ASU Trails)
Raffo Record vs USA: 6-7
Last Meeting: May 6, 2012 (2-1 ASU)
Current Streak: ASU 4 Wins
Online Audio: AStateRedWolves.com
Live Stats: AStateRedWolves.com
LEADING OFF: Arkansas State will host South Alabama April 12-14 for a three-game Sun Belt Conference series to conclude a seven-game home stand at Tomlinson Stadium. A-State has not taken the field since Sunday, April 7, after its midweek contest with Central Arkansas was cancelled due to severe weather this past Wednesday. ASU is currently 3-1 during its home stand and is coming off a home series in which it took two of three games from Western Kentucky, who entered the series tied for first in the SBC. A-State is 19-14 overall on the year and is 6-6 in league play, while South Alabama enters the weekend with a 24-10 record and a 7-5 mark in the conference. The Jaguars have lost two straight after dropping a game to FIU on April 7 and then falling to Nicholls State during the midweek.
THE STARTERS: Senior right-hander Daniel Wright will take the mound for ASU on Friday night. He is coming off a career-best week in which he earned SBC pitcher of the week honors after throwing a complete-game shutout against WKU on April 5. He also struck out a career-high 11 that night and earned a save earlier in the week. Chandler Hawkins will get the call on Saturday for the Red Wolves, while Bradley Wallace will start on Sunday. Wallace is coming a performance in which he struck out a career-high 12 against WKU on April 7.
USA will send senior Jarron Cito the hill on Friday, followed by right-hander Matt Bell Saturday. Lefty Jacob Noble will start on Sunday.
ASU/USA SERIES HISTORY
• This will be the 77th, 78th and 79th meetings all-time between ASU and USA.
• The Jaguars lead the all-time series 55-22.
• ASU swept South Alabama in Jonesboro last season. It was the first time that ASU had ever swept USA in a three-game series.
• The series dates back to the 1993 season when the teams became Sun Belt Conference foes.
• A-State is on a four-game winning streak over the Jaguars.
• Keith Horn threw a 1-hitter against South Alabama in 1993. It was just one of six 1-hitters in ASU history.
SCOUTING THE JAGUARS
• South Alabama is 25-10 on the year and has a 7-5 record in Sun Belt Conference play.
• The Jaguars are currently one game back from jumping into a three-way tie for first place with FAU and WKU.
• They are tops in the league in hits with 342 on the year and have more plate appearances than any other SBC team.
• USA is second in the league in runs scored with 234 and third with a .379 on base percentage.
• The Jaguars are holding teams to just a .247 batting average against them, the best mark in the league.
• Matt Bell is second in the league in ERA with a 2.12 average and has a league best .190 opposing batting average.
WRIGHT EARNS PITCHER OF THE WEEK HONORS
• Senior Daniel Wright earned Sun Belt Conference Pitcher of the Week honors on April 8 for his
performance from the previous week.
• Wright was also named as the College Sports Madness SBC Pitcher of the Week..
• The senior right-hander enjoyed one of the best pitching weeks of his career by earning his first
save since 2011 and a his first complete-game shutout victory.
• In the shutout victory, Wright struck out a career-high 11 batters and yielded just five hits. He
also did not allow runner past second base after the first inning and retired 12 straight at one
• He picked up his first save since 2011 on April 2 when he pitched a perfect ninth inning against
SCORELESS INNINGS ACCUMULATING
• Daniel Wright has now pitched 14 straight scoreless innings
• He has not allowed a run since giving up a solo home run to Aramis Garcis in the bottom of the
4th inning at FIU on March 29.
• In his last 25 innings, he has given up just one earned run.
472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401