Photographer's social experiment gains exposure - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Photographer's social experiment gains exposure

(WMC-TV) - A social experiment, conducted by a photographer in Memphis, explores and exposes people who make fun of others when their backs are turned.

Haley Morris-Cafiero, head of photography at the Memphis College of Art, shot many self-portraits for a series entitled "Something to Weigh".

"It started about three years ago when I was shooting a series of self portraits where I was going to locations I didn't feel comfortable about. It's the only time I really thought about my size," said Morris-Cafiero.

The assistant professor began noticing something about her photos, she was unintentionally capturing images of other people looking at her.

"I've heard comments, you know, of some people, from time to time, but I never thought I would capture that," said Morris-Cafiero.

A photo from Times Square was the impetus for a new series called "Wait Watchers".

"I noticed that there was a man behind me, like, kind of laughing and smirking and he's being photographed by a beautiful woman," said Morris-Cafiero. "In this over-saturation of senses of Times Square, but, he's fixed on me, and really sort of questioning my presence."

Now, the 37-year-old's camera lens is set, specifically, to catch the reactions of others who think their gestures are anonymous. And she's finding a worldwide phenomenon.

"Chicago, New York, Cusco, Peru, Barcelona. I'm going to Prague and Berlin this summer. I really just try to go all over, because it's about a certain gender, a certain race, you know, it's not about that. It's really, you know, a social experiment to see how people equate image to identity," said Morris-Cafiero.

The reactions don't surprise or bother Haley.

"You know, I make the image and I put it out there. And, based on your history is how you're going to see it and respond to it," said Morris-Cafiero. "Even if you think something you're doing couldn't possibly affect anyone, it actually really does."

Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Man killed in crash following police chase

Friday, December 15 2017 9:35 AM EST2017-12-15 14:35:16 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:40 AM EST2017-12-15 14:40:35 GMT
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)

A Wynne man was killed in a two-vehicle crash Thursday in Cross County.

A Wynne man was killed in a two-vehicle crash Thursday in Cross County.

Newport police investigates vehicle vandalism

Thursday, December 14 2017 11:02 PM EST2017-12-15 04:02:25 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:19 AM EST2017-12-15 14:19:38 GMT
    Newport police Lt. Allen Edwards spoke Thursday about vandalism of vehicles along Malcolm Avenue in Newport. (Source: KAIT)Newport police Lt. Allen Edwards spoke Thursday about vandalism of vehicles along Malcolm Avenue in Newport. (Source: KAIT)

Vehicles driving along Malcolm Avenue in Newport are in the line of fire as juveniles have been suspected of throwing rocks and causing damage. That is according to Newport police.

Malls in state of change, real estate developer says

Thursday, December 14 2017 9:20 PM EST2017-12-15 02:20:08 GMT
    Friday, December 15 2017 9:12 AM EST2017-12-15 14:12:29 GMT
    The Mall at Turtle Creek (Source: KAIT)The Mall at Turtle Creek (Source: KAIT)

The business of shopping is changing, a local commercial real estate official said, noting it is a trend that is being seen and felt around the country.