Another meteorite falls in Connecticut - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Another meteorite falls in Connecticut

WATERBURY, CT (WFSB) -

For the second time in a month, a meteorite has landed in a Connecticut community.

Yale Peabody Museum officials said a Waterbury homeowner contacted them after finding the meteorite on his lawn.

Officials confirmed the discovery, and Dr. Stefan Nicolescu said it is highly likely that the meteorite is related to the one that crashed into a Wolcott home 19 days ago.

He said he hopes to perform additional tests to confirm the find.

The meteorite is about 1.6 pounds and has a similar shape and size to an avocado.

Connecticut has a history of buildings being struck by meteorites. Two homes were struck in Wethersfield in 1971 and 1982.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Nucor to build new steel mill in central Missouri

    Nucor to build new steel mill in central Missouri

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 8:00 AM EST2017-11-22 13:00:04 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Steel producer Nucor is building a steel mill in the mid-Missouri city of Sedalia.

    Steel producer Nucor is building a steel mill in the mid-Missouri city of Sedalia.

  • Foundation to adopt a family for Christmas

    Foundation to adopt a family for Christmas

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:40 PM EST2017-11-22 04:40:57 GMT
    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:55 PM EST2017-11-22 04:55:13 GMT
    (Source: Keeunna Watson)(Source: Keeunna Watson)

    A foundation in honor of a Jonesboro who died from epilepsy is finding a way to serve another family in need for Christmas.

    A foundation in honor of a Jonesboro who died from epilepsy is finding a way to serve another family in need for Christmas.

  • Family safely makes it out of house fire in Matthews, MO

    Family safely makes it out of house fire in Matthews, MO

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 11:47 PM EST2017-11-22 04:47:04 GMT
    source:  Raycom Mediasource: Raycom Media

    According to an official with the Matthews Volunteer Fire Department, a family was inside the home when the fire started in an upstairs bathroom.

    According to an official with the Matthews Volunteer Fire Department, a family was inside the home when the fire started in an upstairs bathroom.

Powered by Frankly