Doniphan store clerk sells herself winning Powerball ticket - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Doniphan store clerk sells herself winning Powerball ticket

DONIPHAN, AR (KAIT) – A Southeast Missouri woman wrapped up a big week by taking home a piece of the record $600 million Powerball jackpot.

Last week, Mary Jane Hart of Doniphan not only started a new job but also played the lottery and won twice. She first got $500, and then earned one million more on Saturday.

Hart works at the Hartland Pit Stop in Doniphan as a part-time cashier. She sold herself a Powerball ticket when she came into work Saturday because the jackpot had reached a record amount.

"I've always wanted to win a jackpot so that I could go to way more NASCAR races than I go to [now], which is a lot," she said.

Hart used the numbers of some of her favorite NASCAR drivers to fill out her Powerball ticket, which she checked only after getting a call from work.

"Someone had called me and told me that there was a winning ticket at the [Hartland Pit Stop]," she said, "so I went to the convenience store at Poplar Bluff and it said I was a winner."

Hart correctly matched all the numbers on her ticket to those drawn (10, 13, 14, 22, 52) except for the Powerball (11). She is now $1 million richer because of that luck.

"Nobody I know has ever won a million dollars," Hart said.

She plans to use some of her winnings to help out her son and also take a trip to Hawaii.

"That's a lifelong dream to want to go [to Hawaii]," she said. "I think I can do that now."

Some of Hart's coworkers at the convenience store say they're "ecstatic" that of all people, she won.

"It couldn't happen to a better person," said Cashier Sara Barfield. "[Hart] is a wonderful lady and a hard worker, so I'm glad to see it went to somebody deserving."

Despite winning the million dollar prize, Hart says she'll keep working at the convenience store and at her new job as a pharmacy technician, which she started a week ago.

"[My new boss] asked me I might be quitting, and I said no."

She also plans to keep playing the lottery, just as she has every week.

"Everybody needs to play the lottery," Hart said. "It's a proven fact that if you think you can't win, you can."

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

PBM's discussed during meeting at Capitol

Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:06 PM EST2018-02-22 04:06:00 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:30 PM EST2018-02-22 04:30:16 GMT
    Pharmacists and supporters went to the old Arkansas Supreme Court chamber in the state Capitol Wednesday to ask for legislation dealing with pharmacy benefit managers. (Source: KARK)Pharmacists and supporters went to the old Arkansas Supreme Court chamber in the state Capitol Wednesday to ask for legislation dealing with pharmacy benefit managers. (Source: KARK)

A group of pharmacists spent their Wednesday at the state Capitol in Little Rock, battling for changes in drug reimbursement rates as lawmakers plan for a possible special session on the matter.

Brookland School District prepares for major tournament

Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:29 PM EST2018-02-22 03:29:11 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:02 PM EST2018-02-22 04:02:35 GMT

The Brookland School District is preparing for possible parking issues during the basketball 4-A State Tournament that expected to attract more than 10,000 people to the Bearcat Arena.

Students use app to reduce litter on school campus

Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:02 PM EST2018-02-22 03:02:13 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:00 PM EST2018-02-22 04:00:42 GMT

EAST Lab students at the Westside School District have found a way to track and reduce the litter on their campus simply by using an application.