Boggs blows 9th inning lead, game delayed shortly after

ST. LOUIS, MO (KAIT) - The Cardinals had a great night leading up to the top of the 9th inning against the Royals on Thursday night.

Rookie and one of the Cards top prospects Michael Wacha went 7 innings and gave up just 1 run in his debut with St. Louis. He left his team with a 1 run.

In the 8th inning the Cardinals called upon another rookie, Seth Manness. Manness pitched a scoreless 8th inning and Redbirds failed to score in the bottom half sending the game into the top of the 9th with the Cardinals leading 2-1.

Mitchell Boggs had proven himself to be back on track during a stint with Memphis. Fans were hard on him toward the end of a rough start of the season that began with Boggs blowing a chance to be the closer and eventually being demoted to Triple-A.

All that is what made Manager Mike Matheny's decision to send Boggs out to try to close out a run game a questionable one. Earlier in the day, current closer Edward Mujica would be unavailable because he had pitched four straight days. That being said, most thought Matheny would turn to Trevor Rosenthal, the typical 8th inning man to finish out a save situation if necessary. But apparently Rosenthal was also unavailable.

The move to place Boggs on the hill might have been the opportunity for him to build confidence and get him back in good graces with the fans. That didn't happen. On his second pitch to Royals outfielder Jeff Francouer, Boggs surrendered a game-tying shot to left that resulted in several boos from the normally tame Busch Stadium crowd.

The blown saved not only ruined Boggs chance at redemption, but denied starter Wacha a big league win in his debut.

The pain was not over yet. Boggs couldn't get out the second batter he faced and was lifted for newly called up reliever Victor Marte. He wouldn't fair much better, allowing two more runs to cross the plate (one of those being charged to Boggs) before loading up the bases with no one out.

At 10:32 p.m. with the bases loaded and nobody out the steady rain that had been falling in St. Louis through much of the night, picked up and the umpires called for the tarp and the game was delayed.

At the time this story was posted (11:15 p.m.) play had not resumed in St. Louis and the Cardinals still trailed 4-2 with the bases loaded, 0 outs in the top of the 9th. Ruben Tejada will be at the plate if play resumes.

After 5 innings, a major baseball game can be called and not resumed while still being counted as an official game.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.