Officials assessing impact of 6,700-acre Doce Fire - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

UPDATE

Officials assessing impact of 6,700-acre Doce Fire

Posted: Updated:
A DC-10 tanker spreads retardant on the Doce Fire near Prescott on Wednesday. (Source: CBS 5 News) A DC-10 tanker spreads retardant on the Doce Fire near Prescott on Wednesday. (Source: CBS 5 News)
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Residents react to missing machete man

    Residents react to missing machete man

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 8:07 AM EDT2014-04-23 12:07:17 GMT
    Police are still searching for a possibly armed suspect, 26-year-old Jeffrey Wegener in Oregon and Ripley counties in Missouri, along with Randolph county in Arkansas. 
    Police are still searching for a possibly armed suspect, 26-year-old Jeffrey Wegener in Oregon and Ripley counties in Missouri, along with Randolph county in Arkansas. Wegener stole an Oregon County Sheriff Department deputy's truck Sunday night and drove it into the Eleven Point River.
  • Arrested doctor was certified to practice medicine

    Arrested doctor was certified to practice medicine

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:51:59 GMT
    PARAGOULD, AR  (KAIT) – A Greene County doctor charged with five counts of video voyeurism was certified to practice, according to online records. A civil lawsuit filed last week against Dr. Paul Becton,
    A Greene County doctor charged with five counts of video voyeurism was certified to practice in the field of OB/GYN, according to online records.
  • New images show stowaway teen's footprints

    New images show stowaway teen's footprints

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:48 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:48:00 GMT
    Sources say the stowaway teen from San Jose passed not one, not two, but three pre-flight inspections. New images show the boy's footprint on the wheel of the aircraft were he stepped to climb up into
    Sources say the stowaway teen from San Jose passed not one, not two, but three pre-flight inspections.
PRESCOTT, AZ (CBS5) -

Forest officials are planning what to do next after the Doce Fire burned 6,767 acres of the Prescott National Forest, and cost more than $7.2 million.

The Prescott National Forest BAR team said they plan to apply seeds and mulch to areas of severe burn to limit the risk to soils, hydrologic function and forest resources.

Officials are also warning of potential flooding and debris for residents who live downstream from the burned.

The human-caused fire was fully contained on Thursday.

In all, Hotshot crews and more than 740 firefighters, 21 hand crews, 27 engines, one helicopter and one bulldozer were used to contain the fire.

"The crews cut a direct fire line, and separated the fuel from the fire," Tony Sciacca said. "Crews dragged hoses, and water and extinguished hot spots. We feel the fire will not escape that containment line."

He said Iron Springs Road, south of the fire, between the intersection with Williamson Valley and Conteras roads, has reopened.

No structures had been lost, and 460 homes had been evacuated.

One person had a minor eye abrasion from the fire. No other injuries have been reported.

Individuals who may have seen suspicious activity related to the Doce Fire are asked to contact Forest Service Law Enforcement and Investigations at 928-527-3508 or 928-527-3509.

[Text BREAKING to 23765 to get news alerts on your mobile phone]

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.