Red Cross shelter closed as Carpenter 1 evacuees return home - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Shelter closed as Carpenter 1 evacuees return home

Posted: Updated:
A sign directs people to one of the two shelters set up by the American Red Cross to assist evacuees on July 8, 2013. (FOX5) A sign directs people to one of the two shelters set up by the American Red Cross to assist evacuees on July 8, 2013. (FOX5)
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Residents react to missing machete man

    Residents react to missing machete man

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 8:07 AM EDT2014-04-23 12:07:17 GMT
    Police are still searching for a possibly armed suspect, 26-year-old Jeffrey Wegener in Oregon and Ripley counties in Missouri, along with Randolph county in Arkansas. 
    Police are still searching for a possibly armed suspect, 26-year-old Jeffrey Wegener in Oregon and Ripley counties in Missouri, along with Randolph county in Arkansas. Wegener stole an Oregon County Sheriff Department deputy's truck Sunday night and drove it into the Eleven Point River.
  • Arrested doctor was certified to practice medicine

    Arrested doctor was certified to practice medicine

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:51:59 GMT
    PARAGOULD, AR  (KAIT) – A Greene County doctor charged with five counts of video voyeurism was certified to practice, according to online records. A civil lawsuit filed last week against Dr. Paul Becton,
    A Greene County doctor charged with five counts of video voyeurism was certified to practice in the field of OB/GYN, according to online records.
  • New images show stowaway teen's footprints

    New images show stowaway teen's footprints

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 2:48 PM EDT2014-04-23 18:48:00 GMT
    Sources say the stowaway teen from San Jose passed not one, not two, but three pre-flight inspections. New images show the boy's footprint on the wheel of the aircraft were he stepped to climb up into
    Sources say the stowaway teen from San Jose passed not one, not two, but three pre-flight inspections.
MT. CHARLESTON, NV (FOX5) -

As some of the Carpenter 1 evacuees return home, one of two American Red Cross shelters opened to assist them was closed Monday.

A lightning strike started the blaze in the Carpenter Canyon area on the western side of Mt. Charleston on July 1.

As of Monday afternoon, the wildfire had charred 27,881 acres or roughly 43 square miles. About 1,000 firefighters were battling the blaze, which was 70 percent contained.

More than 500 residents of Kyle, Lee, Lovell and Trout canyons were forced to evacuate because of the fire, prompting the Red Cross to open two shelters to assist them - one at Hafen Elementary School in Pahrump, and the other at James Bilbray Elementary School in Las Vegas.

On Sunday, residents of Trout and Lovell canyons were allowed to return home. They were followed by residents of Lee Canyon, who returned home Monday morning. The Red Cross said that it closed the shelter at Hafen Elementary at noon Monday because all the needs on that side of the mountain had been met.

A majority of the evacuees, about 300, live in the Kyle Canyon area. Officials said those people will be allowed to return home at 10 a.m. Wednesday. The Red Cross said the shelter at James Bilbray Elementary will remain open to assist the remaining evacuees.

Officials said last week they expect to have the fire contained by July 19.

A fire information hotline has been set up at 702-799-4610.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.