Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Not guilty plea entered for suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro

Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing Ariel Castro ordered to look at judge during Wednesday's court hearing

The Cleveland man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years inside his west side home was arraigned on hundreds of new charges Wednesday.

As in past court appearances, Ariel Castro entered the courtroom with his head lowered and avoided eye contact. But on Wednesday, the judge ordered Castro to lift his head and look at her while she reviewed a summary of the new charges. Castro did as he was told.

Defense attorneys then entered a not guilty plea to the 977-count indictment filed against Castro last week.

The new indictment covers the entire time period from August 2002, when the first of the three women disappeared, until May of this year. The original indictment covered only the first four and a half years of the women's captivity.

The charges include aggravated murder stemming from the death of an unborn child of one of the women. That victim says Castro forced her to lose multiple babies after she got pregnant.

Last Thursday, a County Prosecutor Committee met to discuss whether Castro should get the death penalty. That still remains an option.

Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus captive in his Seymour Avenue house for years before they were rescued on May 6.

Berry gave birth to his daughter while in captivity.

Castro's bond remains at $8M and he is to avoid contact with the victims.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Cities to work together for grant opportunities

    Cities to work together for grant opportunities

    Tuesday, November 21 2017 12:05 AM EST2017-11-21 05:05:06 GMT
    Tuesday, November 21 2017 12:14 AM EST2017-11-21 05:14:50 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    The cities of Osceola and Wilson will soon collaborate on bringing more grants into Mississippi County after both city councils approved an agreement to operate an intermodal authority.

    The cities of Osceola and Wilson will soon collaborate on bringing more grants into Mississippi County after both city councils approved an agreement to operate an intermodal authority.

  • Organization to host domestic violence training for law enforcement

    Organization to host domestic violence training for law enforcement

    Monday, November 20 2017 10:23 PM EST2017-11-21 03:23:02 GMT
    Monday, November 20 2017 11:47 PM EST2017-11-21 04:47:21 GMT
    (Source: The Haven of Northeast Arkansas, Inc. via Facebook)(Source: The Haven of Northeast Arkansas, Inc. via Facebook)

    An organization that helps victims of domestic violence is hosting a domestic violence training court for law enforcement officials.

    An organization that helps victims of domestic violence is hosting a domestic violence training court for law enforcement officials.

  • Pharmacy break-in suspect still at large after high-speed chase

    Pharmacy break-in suspect still at large after high-speed chase

    Monday, November 20 2017 4:33 PM EST2017-11-20 21:33:54 GMT
    Monday, November 20 2017 11:16 PM EST2017-11-21 04:16:24 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    A Newport pharmacy break-in led to a high-speed chase with officers across two counties. It happened at Darlings Pharmacy around 3:50 a.m. according to a Newport police incident report.

    A Newport pharmacy break-in led to a high-speed chase with officers across two counties. It happened at Darlings Pharmacy around 3:50 a.m. according to a Newport police incident report.

Powered by Frankly