One Region 8 school already in session - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

One Region 8 school already in session

CHERRY VALLEY, AR (KAIT) - While some kids are enjoying their final weeks of summer break, students in one Region 8 school district are heading back to school.

Today was the first day of school in the Cross County School District. Students at Cross County High School said they were ready to get the school year started. For some it was about starting football season and others about achieving their personal goals.

"I look forward to having a great 11th grade year, personally I've been waiting a long time to get up to here," said Riley Stephens.

"To make straight As all year," 7th grader, Kalianna Hill said.

"I'm gonna try to get better at my grades," said 8th grader, Kaylob Boykin.

"I'm trying to build my GPA up so I can get into ASU for diesel mechanics so I can get my diesel mechanics license," said senior Jeffery Baney.

The teachers helped to ease student's anxiety by doing the Harlem Shake in the morning assembly.

"I was really scared about going into an older grade and going into high school and stuff like that but it's not as bad as I thought it would be," said Madisyn Mathes, an 8th grader.

Principal Jennifer McFarland says she has high expectations for her students.

"It is my first here as the high school principal and my goal for this school is to really bring the community into this building," McFarland said. "To help them figure out their path and where they want to go in their life and in their next step is really exciting."

"It's different than last year, it wasn't this many people, we got a lot of new kids, it's gonna be a good year," said Stephens.

The kids will spend two days getting acclimated and will dive in the books on Monday.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

• breaking

Arrest made in Trumann homicide

Arrest made in Trumann homicide

Wednesday, February 21 2018 6:29 PM EST2018-02-21 23:29:13 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 9:51 PM EST2018-02-22 02:51:05 GMT
    Michael Lee Slaughter (Source: Poinsett County Sheriff's Office)Michael Lee Slaughter (Source: Poinsett County Sheriff's Office)

According to Trumann Police Chief Chad Henson, a man is in custody in connection with a homicide Wednesday morning in the Poinsett County town.

Power still out for people in region

Wednesday, February 21 2018 6:59 AM EST2018-02-21 11:59:50 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 9:51 PM EST2018-02-22 02:51:00 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

As storms and rain move through this morning, damage and flooding reports are coming in from across the area.

Little Rock man arrested in prescription fraud case

Wednesday, February 21 2018 5:21 PM EST2018-02-21 22:21:27 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 9:40 PM EST2018-02-22 02:40:23 GMT
    Elliott Moton (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office Website)Elliott Moton (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office Website)

A trip to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription has a Central Arkansas man facing a multitude of charges.