Sentencing date set for murder fugitive - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Sentencing date set for murder fugitive

Anthony Antwan Millbrooks (Source: St. Francis County Jail) Anthony Antwan Millbrooks (Source: St. Francis County Jail)

FORREST CITY, AR (KAIT) - Authorities in St. Francis County said a fugitive who pleaded guilty to murder is in custody.

Sheriff Bobby May tells Region 8 News Anthony Antwan Millbrooks turned himself over to the Jonesboro Police Department around midnight Wednesday.

Millbrooks will be sentenced in the St. Francis County Circuit Court on Friday morning.

The sheriff said he had been seen in Jonesboro last Thursday bragging about killing two people.

According to the sheriff's department, Millbrooks pleaded guilty to first degree murder Aug. 12 and was sentenced to 22 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction from an incident in 2010 in Forrest City.

Judge L.T. Simes released Millbrooks on Aug. 12 and ordered to return on Aug. 22 to start his sentence. But he did not return and the court has issued a one million dollar bench warrant for him.

Sheriff May and many in the Region 8 community were outraged with Simes' decision to release Millbrooks. 

"It's just something I've never heard of. It's brand new to me and I've been a sheriff for 26 years. I mean, this guy's a killer. Things like that shouldn't happen. It's one of those unbelievable moments. We did not agree at all. He had a long criminal history and to allow him out is beyond me," May said Wednesday. 

Sheriff May said Wednesday Judge Simes never contacted him before he made this decision. 

"I don't know why he did it. I don't know what his logic was, what his reasoning was. Certainly he should have had his criminal history in front of him and certainly he should have known that he'd been in jail for two years waiting court," May said. 

May said Simes should have listened to the prosecutors, who objected to his decision in the courtroom. 

"There's no law against a judge making a bad decision. If there were, then I'd come into play. there's nothing we can do about that. I just hope in the future he learns from this and that he should contact this office before making any decisions like that," May said. 

Sheriff May said there is nothing he could do about Simes' decision.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

 

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Police: One dead, one in custody in connection with Paragould shooting

    Police: One dead, one in custody in connection with Paragould shooting

    Friday, August 10 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-08-11 02:50:49 GMT
    Saturday, August 11 2018 9:39 AM EDT2018-08-11 13:39:53 GMT
    Paragould police were at the scene of a shooting Friday night in which a woman was shot to death, police said. A man was in custody in connection with the case. (Source: KAIT-TV)Paragould police were at the scene of a shooting Friday night in which a woman was shot to death, police said. A man was in custody in connection with the case. (Source: KAIT-TV)

    According to Detective Jack Hailey with the Paragould Police Department, a male suspect is in custody in connection with a shooting Friday night in the 1000 block of Fairview Road. 

    According to Detective Jack Hailey with the Paragould Police Department, a male suspect is in custody in connection with a shooting Friday night in the 1000 block of Fairview Road. 

  • Class of 2022 participates in white coat ceremony

    Class of 2022 participates in white coat ceremony

    Friday, August 10 2018 10:13 PM EDT2018-08-11 02:13:22 GMT
    Friday, August 10 2018 11:27 PM EDT2018-08-11 03:27:24 GMT
    Class of 2022 participates in white coat ceremony. (Source: KAIT-TV)Class of 2022 participates in white coat ceremony. (Source: KAIT-TV)

    NYIT-COM at Arkansas State University held its ceremony Friday night for the Class of 2022.

    NYIT-COM at Arkansas State University held its ceremony Friday night for the Class of 2022.

  • Southbound lanes at I-555 near Bay reopen after crash

    Southbound lanes at I-555 near Bay reopen after crash

    Friday, August 10 2018 8:18 PM EDT2018-08-11 00:18:42 GMT
    Friday, August 10 2018 11:20 PM EDT2018-08-11 03:20:59 GMT
    (Source: AP Graphics Bank)(Source: AP Graphics Bank)

    According to the Arkansas Department of Transportation, a single-vehicle crash with injury has been reported on I-555 at Exit 35 near Bay. 

    According to the Arkansas Department of Transportation, a single-vehicle crash with injury has been reported on I-555 at Exit 35 near Bay. 

Powered by Frankly