Man sentenced in Paula Deen extortion case - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Man sentenced in Paula Deen extortion case

Thomas Paculis Thomas Paculis
SAVANNAH, GA (WTOC) -

The man who tried to extort $200,000 from celebrity chef Paula Deen has been sentenced to two years in federal prison and one year of supervised release. 

Thomas Paculis, 62, of Newfield, New York, admitted threatening to reveal what he said would be damaging information about Deen if she didn't pay up. The threat came right after Deen came under fire after admitting she used a racial slur in the past.  

In August, Paculis pleaded guilty in federal court to trying to make a deal with Deen's attorney to sign a nondisclosure agreement after he threatened to publicly reveal damaging information about her. Prosecutors dropped 1 of 2 charges in exchange for the plea.

Paculis blames "some bad economic times" for his attempt.

Meanwhile, Paula Deen will make her first appearance in Savannah in months this Thursday at her City Market restaurant, The Lady and Sons, to help her son Jamie launch his latest cookbook, "Jamie Deen's Good Food."

Copyright 2013 WTOC. All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • The Latest: Officials: Mexico, Guatemala natives on truck

    The Latest: Officials: Mexico, Guatemala natives on truck

    Sunday, July 23 2017 6:51 AM EDT2017-07-23 10:51:24 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 10:22 PM EDT2017-07-24 02:22:27 GMT
    The temperature in San Antonio had been in the 90s just before eight people were found dead in a tractor-trailer outside a Walmart store.
    The temperature in San Antonio had been in the 90s just before eight people were found dead in a tractor-trailer outside a Walmart store.
  • Fire destroys home in downtown Jonesboro

    Fire destroys home in downtown Jonesboro

    Saturday, July 22 2017 9:17 PM EDT2017-07-23 01:17:09 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 5:56 PM EDT2017-07-23 21:56:36 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    Assistant Fire Chief Alan Dunn said Sunday that the home was a complete loss and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.  

    Assistant Fire Chief Alan Dunn said Sunday that the home was a complete loss and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.  

  • Firefighters return to station damaged in flood

    Firefighters return to station damaged in flood

    Sunday, July 23 2017 5:22 PM EDT2017-07-23 21:22:00 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 5:37 PM EDT2017-07-23 21:37:03 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    On Sunday, several Pocahontas firefighters moved back into their home station.

    On Sunday, several Pocahontas firefighters moved back into their home station.

Powered by Frankly