Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Thursday, July 24 2014 11:45 PM EDT2014-07-25 03:45:18 GMT
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.

  • Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Thursday, July 24 2014 11:51 PM EDT2014-07-25 03:51:41 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
  • Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:00 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:00:14 GMT
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - As winter weather approaches, more people are turning on their heaters. 

But without proper care and inspections, heaters could lead to problems for homeowners, such as fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.

A deadly example, a racing fan at Talladega died over the weekend when he turned on the heater in his RV. The inside filled with carbon monoxide.

"Before you kick it on, you wanna have somebody that you know professional come out and check it and make sure it's safe," Nathan Tompkins with Tompkins Heating and Air said. 

Tompkins said a proper inspection takes about 30 minutes. 

"I checked their burners. I checked to make sure they were burning properly, that it was the right color and everything, had the right oxygen. I vacuumed out all the dust and debris that could catch fire. And I checked to make sure all their safety features were operating correctly," Tompkins said. "Most of that stuff is for a trained service technician to come out and he knows everything to do."

However, Tompkins said there are some things homeowners can do. 

"You wanna make sure you have a good carbon monoxide detector, especially if you have gas furnaces or gas heat in your house. Or any gas appliances at all, you wanna have a carbon monoxide detector," Tompkins said.

If the carbon monoxide would leak, homeowners could face a fate similar to the racing fan's at Talladega.  

"It's very rare that they do do that, but they can do that. So as long as you know they can do that, that's the big thing. You wanna have them checked out as far as what you're burning compared to oxygen and making sure it's ventilated out of your house. That's the big issue, getting it out of your house," Tompkins said. 

"The main reason for carbon monoxide is the units get rusted out and they get a hole in the heat chamber and that's where the fumes go. You wanna look and make sure you got a nice, pretty blue flame," Richard Clay, a Kagle's Heat and Air technician, said. 

Tompkins and Clay said homeowners also need to change their air filters once a month.  

"That's the number one cause of all problems in a unit is you don't change your filters. Parts get dirty that ain't supposed to get dirty and they have to work harder to burn stuff out. That's one thing you can do on a regular basis to really help out a lot," Tompkins said.

Changing your filters regularly not only keeps you safe, but also keeps your house clean.

"If you throw it out every month, that's like dusting your house. Eventually, you get to the point where you don't have that much dust. But you have to do that to get it that way," Tompkins said.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.