Prosecutor: October officer involved shooting in Trumann justified

TRUMANN, AR (KAIT) – After an investigation, prosecutors announced on Friday, a conclusion has be made in the officer involved shooting back in October.

Public Information Officer Bill Sadler with Arkansas State Police said police attempted to arrest Jacob Ashton Brown, 21, on a felony warrant and a parole violation warrant.

Prosecutor Attorney Scott Ellington said he has ended his review and concluded that Trumann Police Lt. Gary Henry was justified in using deadly force to defend himself and Detective Jared Cook from Brown and his gun.

In a letter to Arkansas State Police Lt. Brant Tosh, Scott Ellington said Arkansas Parole/Probation Agent Ryan Skelton and Detective Cook were making home visits and when they arrived at one home they found the owner had been talking to Brown on Facebook.

Ellington said, "While at the residence, a guest of the occupant got Brown  on Speakerphone where officers could hear the conversation and alerted him that parole/probation and police officers were looking for him. Brown told the guest, 'I've got a 9mm, so f**k them.' Brown then hung up of the phone."

After they tried to make contact with Brown at another residence, a resident told them they saw Brown running through a nearby alley. Officers found Brown with a pistol by the 700-block of North Pine street.

Ellington said, Brown ran from officers and while officers were searching for him, he reportedly pointed a gun in the direction an officer, according to Sadler. The officer then shot Brown, wounding him.

Norman Dodd said he heard someone running through his backyard Tuesday.

"I ran outside to see what was going on and he was running at high speeds, you know, he was just really running. And then all of a sudden the Trumann Police Department pulled up here in front of the house, they got out of their squad cars and they had their guns drawn," Dodd said.

According to Dodd, the man then hopped the fence and officers followed.

"They told him to get on the ground and he didn't do it. And the second time, they told him to get on the ground or we'll shoot. He still didn't do it. On the third time, they told him to get on the ground and then a few seconds later, I heard three rounds go off. And then I heard the guy they were chasing scream out," Dodd said. 

Trumann Police Chief Chad Henson said Brown's gun was recovered at the scene. Three to four officers were involved in the shooting. None of them were injured.

Prosecutor Scott Ellington said the case will not need any further reviews.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.