2 children taken to hospital after gasoline ignites inside home - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

2 children taken to hospital after gasoline ignites inside home

LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) -

Two young boys have been hospitalized after gasoline they were playing with ignited, seriously burning one of them.

Authorities say the boys, ages 3 years and 14 months, were playing with gasoline stored in a closet in a home in the 600 block of Idylwood Drive in Longview. The boys got gasoline on them and it is believed that gasoline was then ignited by a nearby water heater.

"We believe that the gasoline vapors found an ignition source, which in this case most likely was the hot water heater," Johnny Zachary with the Longview Fire Department said.

The 14-month-old was taken to a local hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his legs, where he was then flown to Parkland Hospital in Dallas. The 3-year-old was taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Nineteen-year-old Brenda Magallon was at home when suddenly her son Kelvin and her nephew were on fire. Magallon said he son was only wearing diapers.

Brenda said her son was only wearing diapers.

 "He was over here when my mom ran to get him, and I got my nephew and I pushed him over there and my mom came out running with Kelvin. That's when we saw his legs, they were burning," Brenda said.

There were three adults in the house at the time and they managed to put the children out before paramedics arrived.

"They just told me he was going to need some surgeries. But I'm going to go to Dallas to see him," Brenda said.

 The Longview Fire Department says there will be no criminal charges at this time. They also say you should never store any type of flammable fuel in your home. It should always be stored in a building that is not connected to your house.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Arkansas State University convention center coming soon

    Arkansas State University convention center coming soon

    Friday, November 17 2017 9:07 PM EST2017-11-18 02:07:11 GMT
    Saturday, November 18 2017 8:43 AM EST2017-11-18 13:43:07 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    After presenting a request to get their Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center up and running, the O’Reilly group received the green light from the Jonesboro Advertising and Promotions Commission. However, not without certain stipulations in that request.

    After presenting a request to get their Embassy Suites Hotel and convention center up and running, the O’Reilly group received the green light from the Jonesboro Advertising and Promotions Commission. However, not without certain stipulations in that request.

  • Downtown businesses help out City Youth Ministries

    Downtown businesses help out City Youth Ministries

    Friday, November 17 2017 9:22 PM EST2017-11-18 02:22:20 GMT
    Friday, November 17 2017 9:55 PM EST2017-11-18 02:55:05 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    The holidays are just around the corner and businesses in downtown Jonesboro spent Friday evening giving back to kids in the community.

    The holidays are just around the corner and businesses in downtown Jonesboro spent Friday evening giving back to kids in the community.

  • FCC to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls

    FCC to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls

    Friday, November 17 2017 9:40 PM EST2017-11-18 02:40:38 GMT
    Friday, November 17 2017 9:51 PM EST2017-11-18 02:51:13 GMT
    (Source: Pablo)(Source: Pablo)

    The Attorney General of Arkansas was successful in getting the Federal Communications Commission’s to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls.

    The Attorney General of Arkansas was successful in getting the Federal Communications Commission’s to allow phone companies to block illegal robocalls.

Powered by Frankly