From Arkansas State University
Arkansas State will open the regular season with a match up with Missouri State Monday night (Nov. 11) at the Convocation Center. The Red Wolves are coming off a pair of exhibition victories over Harding and Arkansas-Monticello, which saw A-State win both games by double-digits and have now won 18 straight exhibition games in a row.
This will mark the ninth straight season that A-State and Missouri State have played, with the Lady Bears holding 5-3 mark over that span. Overall Missouri State leads the series 10-7, but the Red Wolves hold a 5-3 edge in games played in Jonesboro.
The opener will also mark the first time that the Red Wolves have opened the regular season in the Convocation Center since the 2008-09 season and the squad has a good history in home openers under Boyer, going 12-2 during his tenure as the head coach.
The Red Wolves return the bulk of its scoring from last year including Preseason All-Sun Belt First Team selection Jane Morrill who led the squad with 14.3 points per contest. Jalen O'Bannon grabbed preseason third team honors after averaging in double-figures during conference play. Freshman Jamie Ruffins was named the Preseason Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year by CollegeSportsMadness.com, while Morrill nabbed first-team honors.
ARKANSAS STATE/MISSOURI STATE HISTORY
• This will be the 18th meeting all-time between the Red Wolves and Lady Bears, with Missouri State holding an 10-7 all-time series lead.
• This will be the ninth straight year that the two teams have met. ASU is 3-5 against the Lady Bears during that time frame.
• The Bears defeated A-State 83-60 in Springfield last year.
• Missorui State also won the last meeting in Jonesboro 88-68 during the 2011-12 season.
A-STATE IN SEASON OPENERS
• The Red Wolves 21-18 all-time in season-opening games, with a record of 11-2 when its season opener is in Jonesboro.
• Under Brian Boyer, A-State is 7-7 in season-openers with a record of 4-0 when the season opener occurs in Jonesboro.
HOME OPENERS UNDER BOYER
• A-State is 12-2 in home openers during Boyer's tenure at A-State.
• Prior to the Red Wolves loss to Wichita State last season, they had won 11 straight home openers.
AGAINST NON-LEAGUE OPPONENTS
• The Red Wolves have an all-time record of 201-138 against league teams.
• Brian Boyer is 103-96 all-time against non-conference opponents.
IT'S BEEN A WHILE