Firefighters: East Charlotte apartment fire started in kitchen, - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Firefighters: East Charlotte apartment fire started in kitchen, ruled accidental

Posted: Updated:
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

Firefighters say that approximately 30 people were displaced after an apartment fire in East Charlotte that started in a kitchen.

The fire was ruled accidental. 

The fire started before 2:30 p.m. at the Ashley Place Apartments on Electra Lane, which is near Independence Boulevard and Idlewild Road.

WBTV's Sky 3 was over the scene as firefighters arrived and began battling the flames.

From Sky 3, large flames and heavy smoke could be seen coming from the roof of the apartment building.

"As long as everybody is alive. That's all I care about right now, because you can rebuild. That's what I did when I moved here a year ago," said resident Robert Graves.

Firefighters told WBTV that in total, two units were destroyed, eight were affected, and six saved in Building 5717.

As a result, approximately 30 people were displaced. No serious injuries were reported.

Damage was estimated at $250,000.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.