Greenville Co. schools changes to lottery for school choice - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Greenville Co. schools changes to lottery for school choice

Parents waiting in line last December at A.J. Whittenberg Elementary. (File: FOX Carolina) Parents waiting in line last December at A.J. Whittenberg Elementary. (File: FOX Carolina)
GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) -

Getting a child into school in Greenville County will no longer be on a first-come, first-serve basis, the district announced on Tuesday.

The Greenville County School District said that a computer-generated lottery will replace the old system, where some parents camped out in front of schools to get a place in line.

The school district said the change will be effective for the 2014-15 student choice assignments.

Parents will be able to submit their choice of up to three schools at their number one school from Dec. 9 through Dec. 20, the district said in a release.

The lottery will be drawn on Tuesday, Feb. 18 and the results will be posted the same day on the GCS website. The names will not be posted on the website, and parents will have to access the results by using their choice form number.

Parents will be notified on March 31, 2014 as to where their child is attending school. Students will be able to get into a school they are on a waiting list for up to 10 days into the new school year if opening are available.

"Your chance of getting in is really based on two things, your number pulled in the lottery for that grade and also the number of available spaces for the coming school year," Oby Lyles, spokesperson for Greenville County Schools, said.

In December of 2012, one parent suffered minor injuries at A.J. Whittenberg Elementary School when some parents began pushing and shoving, according to district officials. The incident led the district to review the idea of students getting in on a first come, first serve basis.

The change to the lottery does not affect the district's magnet schools, officials said.

Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Hazard rating increased at Bono railroad crossing

    Hazard rating increased at Bono railroad crossing

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 11:53 AM EDT2017-07-26 15:53:45 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 12:14 PM EDT2017-07-26 16:14:02 GMT

    Following a deadly crash earlier in July, railroad and highway officials came together to discuss the future about a dangerous crossing.

    Following a deadly crash earlier in July, railroad and highway officials came together to discuss the future about a dangerous crossing.

  • Money stolen from highway department offices

    Money stolen from highway department offices

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 11:27 AM EDT2017-07-26 15:27:13 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 11:48 AM EDT2017-07-26 15:48:49 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    Someone went to great lengths to steal $550 from the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department's Jonesboro office.

    Someone went to great lengths to steal $550 from the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department's Jonesboro office.

  • Victim claims storage trailers broken into, set on fire

    Victim claims storage trailers broken into, set on fire

    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:10 AM EDT2017-07-26 14:10:00 GMT
    Wednesday, July 26 2017 10:28 AM EDT2017-07-26 14:28:32 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    A sheriff's deputy was called after a woman said one of her storage trailers was set on fire while another was broken into.

    A sheriff's deputy was called after a woman said one of her storage trailers was set on fire while another was broken into.

Powered by Frankly