Arkansas State vs Kent State
Nov. 22, 2013 | 7:05 p.m. CT
Jonesboro, Ark. | Convocation Center (10,563)
TV: N/A | Video: StateZone
Arkansas State returns to the hardwood for its final home game in the month of November Friday, Nov. 22 for a non-conference match up with Kent State at 7:05 p.m. This will be the second meeting all-time between the Red Wolves and Golden Flashes. The first meeting occurred during the 2003-04 season at a tournament hosted by LSU, which Kent State won 67-63.
The Red Wolves are coming off the their first loss of the season in which they scored their lowest point total of the year. Despite that, redshirt sophomore Aundrea Gamble scored 30 points for the second time in three games. She is currently leading scorer in the Sun Belt and needs just one more 30-point game to tie the mark for most 30-point games among active players in the conference.
After winning its first game of the season in overtime, Kent State has lost back-to-back games against Duquense and Cincinnati by a combined 50 points. The Golden Flashes have been out rebounded by nearly six rebounds a game and have scored an average of 61.3 points per game. This will be Kent State's third road game of the year.
After the game A-State will embark on a five-game road, which includes a 3-game stint in Cancun against North Carolina, Illinois and Arizona State as part of the Cancun Challenge.
ARKANSAS STATE/KENT STATE HISTORY
• A-State and Kent State have only met one time in their history. The teams played each other on a neutral court at a tournament hosted by LSU during the 2003-04 season.
• Kent State won the match up 67-63.
• This will be the straight year that an A-State Athletics team has played Kent State. The men's basketball team played Kent State during the 2011-12 season while the Red Wolves' football defeated the Golden Flashes in the GoDaddy.com Bowl last year.
30 IS A SAFE BET
• Aundrea Gamble has scored 30 points in two of her first three games to start the season.
• She already ranks second among active players for the most 30-point games in a career in the Sun Belt. Western Kentucky's Alexis Govan and A-State teammate Jane Morrill have two career 30-point to their credit.
• The last time an A-State player had two 30 point games in one season was during the 2011-12 campaign when Morrill had 31 point game against Texas A&M Corpus Christi and 30-point game against UT Martin.
• Adrianne Davie had 4, 30-point games in 2006-07, including back-to-back performances against South Alabama (34) and Louisiana-Monroe (38).
• Current A-State assistant coach Sonja Tate holds the record for most 30-point games in single season with 8 during the 1992-93 season.
A-STATE-UTM MAKING HISTORY
• UT Martin set a Convocation Center record for most 3-pointers by an A-State opponent during a women's basketball game by knocking 12 against the Red Wolves on Nov. 19.
• This is the second time that a Convocation Center record has fallen when the Red Wolves and Skyhawks have met in the Convo. During the 2011-12 season the Red Wolves broke the Convocation Center record for highest field goal percentage in a game by hitting 63.2 percent of their attempts.
• Including exhibition games, A-State scored 79 points in each of its first four games to start the year.
• The Red Wolves scored 79 or more points just twice in 2012-13.
LEADERS OF THE PACK
• Through the first three games A-State has had three players score in double figures in both games.
• Jane Morrill, Aundrea Gamble & Hanna Qedan have scored at least 10 points each through the first two games.
RAISE THE STAKES
• Redshirt sophomore Aundrea Gamble had a double-double (30 points, 10 rebounds) in first career game as a Red Wolves basketball player Nov. 11 against Missouri State.
• She became the first player to record a double-double since Hanna Qedan had one on Jan. 24 at Troy.
• She is just the third A-State player to record a double-double in the last calender year.
• She was also named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week on Nov. 12 for her performance against the Lady Bears.
• CollegeSportsMadness.com named her their SBC Player of the Week on Nov. 18 after scoring 30 against Missouri State and adding another double-digit total against Austin Peay.
MORRILL TOPS SCORING LIST
• Senior forward Jane Morrill is the Sun Belt's career scoring leader among active players.
Rank Name School Points
1 Jane Morrill A-State 1,155
2 Taylor Gault UALR 1,034
3 Alexis Govan WKU 934
4 Ashley Ezeh TXST 928