Atmos Energy: Know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Atmos Energy: Know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Provided by Atmos Energy

Atmos Energy reminds customers to take steps in their homes to help prevent potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced by incomplete combustion in home heating systems, gas ovens, dryers, fireplaces and automobile engines. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can be fatal.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are flu-like and often include headache, sleepiness, weakness, vomiting, dizziness and tightness in the chest. If you or your family experiences these symptoms:

  • Call 911 or seek emergency medical attention.
  • Stop using the suspected gas appliance immediately and call Atmos Energy's Emergency hotline at 1.866.322.8667.
  • Do not use the appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by a qualified plumber or a heating contractor.

Help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Hire a qualified heating system professional each year to inspect all natural gas appliances and venting systems in your home to ensure that they are working properly. Atmos Energy customers can find qualified plumbers and contractors by visiting www.atmosenergy.com <http://www.atmosenergy.com>
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in the home on all floors where bedrooms are located. Detectors identify traces of carbon monoxide in the home and sound an alarm when carbon monoxide is detected.
  • Do not idle a car in an attached garage. Doing so allows a large amount of carbon monoxide to enter the home. Instead, back the car completely out of the garage and close the garage door while the vehicle warms up.
  • Make sure that your chimneys and flues are clean and unobstructed and that appliances have proper ventilation systems.
  • Remove clutter from around gas furnaces and water heaters to ensure an adequate supply of fresh air. Change furnace filters regularly.
  • Do not use natural gas ovens as a heating source. The burning of natural gas produces carbon monoxide that is safely ventilated when the oven door is closed, but is released into the kitchen when the door is open.
  • Do not use charcoal indoors for either cooking or heating. Burning charcoal releases carbon monoxide.
  • Make sure kerosene and other portable heaters are vented to the outside.
  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • Gas station manager arrested, accused of selling drugs at store

    Gas station manager arrested, accused of selling drugs at store

    Thursday, March 23 2017 11:56 PM EDT2017-03-24 03:56:38 GMT
    Shane Allen Nelson (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)Shane Allen Nelson (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office)

    The manager of a Craighead County gas station was arrested Wednesday afternoon for allegedly selling drugs at the store. 

    The manager of a Craighead County gas station was arrested Wednesday afternoon for allegedly selling drugs at the store. 

  • Second meeting scheduled for Jonesboro walk/bike trails

    Second meeting scheduled for Jonesboro walk/bike trails

    Monday, March 20 2017 11:45 PM EDT2017-03-21 03:45:52 GMT
    Thursday, March 23 2017 11:55 PM EDT2017-03-24 03:55:42 GMT
    (Source: KAIT)(Source: KAIT)

    Six potential pedestrian and bicycle trail projects for Jonesboro were discussed in a meeting Thursday night to give Jonesboro residents input on the project. The meeting took place in the city council chambers.

    Six potential pedestrian and bicycle trail projects for Jonesboro were discussed in a meeting Thursday night to give Jonesboro residents input on the project. The meeting took place in the city council chambers.

  • Man faces commercial burglary, theft charges

    Man faces commercial burglary, theft charges

    Thursday, March 23 2017 10:12 PM EDT2017-03-24 02:12:57 GMT
    Thursday, March 23 2017 11:47 PM EDT2017-03-24 03:47:37 GMT
    Courtley Lloyd Johnson (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office and probable cause affidavit)Courtley Lloyd Johnson (Source: Craighead Co. Sheriff's Office and probable cause affidavit)

    The theft of over $5,200 worth of materials from a company has a Craighead County man facing commercial burglary and theft charges, authorities said Thursday. 

    The theft of over $5,200 worth of materials from a company has a Craighead County man facing commercial burglary and theft charges, authorities said Thursday. 

Powered by Frankly