Arkansas State will head south of the border to participate in the Cancun Challenge Tournament presented by Triple Crown Sports over the Thanksgiving holiday. A-State will play three games in three days begginning Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 28) with a matchup with North Carolina who comes into the game holding a No. 11 ranking. The Red Wolves will follow on Friday with a matchup with Illinois, the only team in the tournament that Arkansas State has previously played. Both games wills start at 2:30 p.m. The tournament will conclude on Saturday as the Red Wolves will play Arizona State at noon. All games can be heard on 95.3 The Ticket and AStateRedWolves.com. Live video coverage will be provided at http://ulive.cbssports.com/.
A-State is coming off one of its biggest victories of the young season,a 91-68 win at Louisiana Tech. Arkansas State jumped out to a 8-0 lead and never looked back as it lead by double-digits for the final 33 minutes of game. It was A-State's first victory in Ruston in 21 chances it snapped at 29-game losing skid to the Lady Techsters.
This is Arkansas State's second trip to Cancun having played in the Fun in the Sun Classic Tournament in 2000-01 against Duke and Florida Atlantic. The Red Wolves went 1-1 in the tournament and will be looking to build upon their recent success.
ARKANSAS STATE/NORTH CAROLINA HISTORY
• This will be the first meeting ever between A-State and North Carolina.
ARKANSAS STATE/ILLINOIS HISTORY
• This will be the second meeting between the Red Wolves and Illinois. A-State won first meeting 95-69 in Las Vegas during the 1995-96 season at the UNLV Classic.
ARKANSAS STATE/ARIZONA STATE HISTORY
• This will be the first meeting between A-State and Arizona State.
A-STATE IN CANCUN
• This will be A-State's second trip to Cancun in program history. The first trip occurred during the 2000-01 season at the Fun in the Sun Classic Tournament.
• A-State went 1-1 in the tournament, falling to Duke 69-45, before coming back for a 100-75 win over Florida Atlantic.
VERSUS RANKED OPPONENTS
• A-State is 1-9 all-time against ranked opponents.
• Its only victory victory came against TCU in the 2004-05 season. The Red Wolves down the No. 22/23 Horned Frogs 68-64 in Jonesboro.
A LONG TIME COMING
• A-State snapped a 29-game losing to Louisiana Tech with a 91-68 victory in Ruston, La., on Nov. 25. It was the first time since the 1991-92 season that A-State had defeated the Lady Techsters.
• The win was also the first for Arkansas State in Ruston, who had been 0-20 before Nov. 25. It also marked the first win for Coach Brian Boyer over LA Tech.
GAMBLE AMONG THE NATION'S BEST
• Redshirt sophomre Aundrea Gamble ranks 17th in the nation in field goal percentage, knocking down 63 percent of her shots.
• That mark is also the highest among any guard in the nation.
WE LOVE THE 90s
• Arkansas State scored 92 points in its victory over Kent State on Nov. 22. That marked the first time that A-State had scored 90 points since it defeated Hampton 97-71 in the Brown Classic in Providence, Rhode Island.
• The last time the Red Wolves scored exactly 92 points in a game was during the 2002-03 season when it defeated North Texas 92-72.
• The Red Wolves scored 91 points in their next game at LA Tech marking the first time that the squad had scored at least 90 points in back-to-back games since the 2000-01 season. A-State scored 100 against FAU at the Fun in the Sun Classic in Cancun and then had 98 in Jonesboro against UAPB.
• Arkansas State has scored at least 90 points in back-to-back games five times.
• Arkansas State is embarking on a swing where it will play nine out of its 10 games away from Jonesboro. The stretch begins with a Nov. 25 game at Louisiana Tech, followed by a 3-game swing in Cancun Nov. 28-30. The Red Wolves will play at Wichita State on Dec. 12 before finally returning to Jonesboro Dec. 18 against Tennessee Tech. The stretch wraps up with a Texas swing against Texas A&M (Dec. 30), UT Arlington (Jan. 2) and Texas State (Jan. 4).
30 IS A SAFE BET
• Aundrea Gamble has scored 30 points in two of her first five games to start the season.
• She already ranks second among active players for the most 30-point games in a career in the Sun Belt. Western Kentucky's Alexis Govan and A-State teammate Jane Morrill have two career 30-point to their credit.
• The last time an A-State player had two 30 point games in one season was during the 2011-12 campaign when Morrill had 31 point game against Texas A&M Corpus Christi and 30-point game against UT Martin.
• Adrianne Davie had 4, 30-point games in 2006-07, including back-to-back performances against South Alabama (34) and Louisiana-Monroe (38).
• Current A-State assistant coach Sonja Tate holds the record for most 30-point games in single season with 8 during the 1992-93 season.
A-STATE-UTM MAKING HISTORY
• UT Martin set a Convocation Center record for most 3-pointers by an A-State opponent during a women's basketball game by knocking 12 against the Red Wolves on Nov. 19.
• This is the second time that a Convocation Center record has fallen when the Red Wolves and Skyhawks have met in the Convo. During the 2011-12 season the Red Wolves broke the
Convocation Center record for highest field goal percentage in a game by hitting 63.2 percent of their attempts.
• Including exhibition games, A-State scored at least 79 points in all but one its games this year.
• The Red Wolves scored 79 or more points just twice in 2012-13.
LEADERS OF THE PACK
• Through the first three games A-State has had three players score in double figures in both games.
• Jane Morrill, Aundrea Gamble & Hanna Qedan have scored at least 10 points each through the first four games.
RAISE THE STAKES
• Redshirt sophomore Aundrea Gamble had a double-double (30 points, 10 rebounds) in first career game as a Red Wolves basketball player Nov. 11 against Missouri State.
• She became the first player to record a double-double since Hanna Qedan had one on Jan. 24 at Troy.
• She is just the third A-State player to record a double-double in the last calender year.
• She was also named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week on Nov. 12 for her performance against the Lady Bears.
• CollegeSportsMadness.com named her their SBC Player of the Week on Nov. 18 after scoring 30 against Missouri State and adding another double-digit total against Austin Peay.
MORRILL TOPS SCORING LIST
• Senior forward Jane Morrill is the Sun Belt's career scoring leader among active players.