Two local fire departments called out to burning homes

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - The Jonesboro Fire Department was called out to a house fire Tuesday morning. The cause of the fire started when something went wrong with the heating system.

JFD Battalion Chief, Marty Hamrick, said take every precaution when it comes to heating your home and using appliances.

"Still a lot of cooking fires but with space heaters and stuff of that nature, we see an increase because people are running them more," said Hamrick.

If you do use a space heater make sure you are aware of your surroundings.

"Have them away from any combustibles," said Hamrick. "Don't put blankets around them and keep a lot of space around them."

When you are using fire for anything in your home, make sure it's out before you leave and that you have your chimney's cleaned before use.

"With candles and that sort of thing use common sense," said Hamrick. "With chimney's if you're using wood burning or a gas fire place, make sure they are clean."

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.