Mom shares family's experience after losing everything in house - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Mom shares family's experience after losing everything in house fire

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Gigi's Cupcakes coming to Jonesboro

    Gigi's Cupcakes coming to Jonesboro

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:31 AM EDT2014-04-22 15:31:11 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – Haag Brown Commercial Real Estate and Development made a "sweet" announcement Tuesday: Gigi's Cupcakes is coming to Jonesboro. "Gigi's is to cupcakes like Starbucks is to coffee,"
    Haag Brown Commercial Real Estate and Development made a "sweet" announcement Tuesday:  Gigi's Cupcakes is coming to Jonesboro.
  • Man, daughter injured in one-vehicle crash

    Man, daughter injured in one-vehicle crash

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 1:50 PM EDT2014-04-22 17:50:51 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – A one-vehicle crash Tuesday afternoon sent a Region 8 man and his 2-year-old daughter to a local hospital. The crash happened around noon at the intersection of Aggie and Red Wolf
    A one-vehicle crash Tuesday afternoon sent a Region 8 man and his 2-year-old daughter to a local hospital. The crash happened around noon at the intersection of Aggie and Red Wolf Boulevard.
  • Update: Memorial fund established for drowning victim

    Update: Memorial fund established for drowning victim

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:04 AM EDT2014-04-22 14:04:52 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – A memorial fund has been created for an 11-year-old girl who died after she became trapped beneath a pipe in a water-filled ditch for 20 minutes.
    Kyria Seymour of Jonesboro died Saturday, April 19, at LeBonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, TN. A memorial fund has been created for an 11-year-old girl who died after she became trapped beneath a pipe in a water-filled ditch for 20 minutes.
HALLSVILLE, TX (KLTV) -

An East Texas man is recovering at a Dallas hospital after being badly burned in a house fire.

Their house caught on fire yesterday morning on private road 3661, just east of Longview. 

The entire Gathier family was asleep yesterday morning, when flames erupted from a wood burning stove they were using to heat their home. 

"We were sleeping and all of the sudden my husband jumped up because he smelled the smoke; he saw it and screamed my name. It was coming down the hallway towards our room. We just happened to wake up in time to get out. If you have kids, the first thing in your mind is to get the kids out. I grabbed my son and jumped out the back door," says Katie Gathier.

Neighbors say the husband in this case received his injuries when he tried to go back into the house to save the family dog.

But the dog was lost along with 8 puppies, and Arthur Gathier now has 2nd and 3rd degree burns for his effort.

"His arms and his back was blistered," Katie says.

Their home is gone.

With a 2-year-old boy and girls ages 6 and 7, the family needs everything.

Particularly the husband.

"He ran out of the house with nothing on. we need clothes for him because he has nothing," says Katie.

They lost everything: clothes, toys, furniture, pictures, and Christmas presents.

But Gathier says she and her husband will stay strong for their family. 

"Got to stay strong for my kids ... for him. You don't realize how strong somebody is until something like this happens," she says. 

The Red Cross is helping the family, and an effort to set up a relief fund is underway.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.