Firefighters pull unconscious sisters from house fire - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Firefighters pull unconscious sisters from house fire

Posted: Updated:
The firefighters who rescued the two girls from Friday's fire. The firefighters who rescued the two girls from Friday's fire.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Report: Boy found inside stuffed animal claw machine

    Report: Boy found inside stuffed animal claw machine

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 9:22 AM EDT2014-04-16 13:22:12 GMT
    Rachel Hildreth, of Madsen's Bowling & Billiards in Lincoln, NE, said someone told her about the boy inside the Bear Claw machine. She didn't believe it until she saw for herself.
    Rachel Hildreth, of Madsen's Bowling & Billiards in Lincoln, NE, said someone told her about the boy inside the Bear Claw machine. She didn't believe it until she saw for herself.
  • Miley Cyrus remains hospitalized, cancels more concerts

    Miley Cyrus remains hospitalized, cancels more concerts

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 2:06 PM EDT2014-04-16 18:06:48 GMT
    An ailing Miley Cyrus has canceled her concert Tuesday night at Sprint Center.The notice came a matter of hours before she was scheduled to go on stage.A concert promoter tells KCTV5 that Cyrus is in the
    An ailing Miley Cyrus remains in a Kansas City hospital and says she must cancel her St. Louis concert slated for Wednesday night. This comes after she unexpectedly canceled her Tuesday night concert in Kansas City.
  • ASU honors 21 retirees

    ASU honors 21 retirees

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 4:41 PM EDT2014-04-15 20:41:26 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – On Tuesday hundreds of Arkansas State University faculty and staff members gathered in Centennial Hall of the Carl R. Reng Student Union to honor 21 faculty members retiring this
    On Tuesday hundreds of Arkansas State University faculty and staff members gathered in Centennial Hall of the Carl R. Reng Student Union to honor 21 faculty members retiring this academic year.
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

Two sisters are in the hospital after a fire broke out inside their Kansas City home.

The firefighters who rescued them said they were just doing their job, but considering the conditions the girls were trapped inside, they are truly lifesavers.

Firefighters said the call came out about as well as could be expected because everyone relied on their training.

It started with a call from a girl short of breath around midnight near 69th Street and Myrtle Avenue. She did not tell dispatchers the home was on fire.

Police arrived first, they heard a faint scream come from inside the back of the house.

"Anytime you get a fire, you expect there could be someone inside, that's something we always prepare for. When you do find someone, you hope you can give them a fighting chance," said Capt. Phil Atwood with the Kansas City Fire Department.

Atwood and Firefighter Brad Cockrell searched room by room while other firefighters worked to put the small fire out.

"We always assume someone is inside and we started our search. By the time we made it to the back bedroom, we found the two girls, we immediately picked them up, brought them out and they started first aid on them," Atwood said. "They were on the floor in the back bedroom, as low as they could get. That's one thing I think, we do demos at schools all the time, we try to teach kids that if you do have a fire, one of the things they need to keep in mind is to stay low because heat and smoke rises."

The sisters, 15-year-old Ni'Kia and the other 5-year-old D'Erica, were found unresponsive. The 15-year-old was unconscious, using her body to cover her younger sister.

"It was just one of those situations where these girls did the best they could with what they had," Atwood said. "I just know that when we got here they were lifeless, and I can't tell you what a difference it would have made if we were one or two minutes earlier or later. It's just one of those situations where it worked out."

It's fires like this these that firefighters spend their whole career training for.

"It's always good to have a positive outcome. A lot of times these incidents don't happen that way," Cockrell said.

"Everybody did, for all the stuff that was happening, everybody did a great job. It was surprising how seamless it was, from dispatch to police to fire to medical to the ER that received the girls," Atwood said.

Emergency crews said the sisters were not initially breathing, but they got them breathing before they were taken to the hospital.

The girls were listed in serious condition at Children's Mercy Hospital in the intensive care unit, but both are expected to make a full recovery.

Their mother says she's counting her blessings. Later that night Nicole Davis returned to her home to salvage what the fire didn't destroy. Among those possessions were photos of Ni'Kia and D'Erica.

"I'm just blessed that they're here, still here, on this earth," Davis said.

She said the fire happened shortly after she left her house to go to the store and visit a friend.

"I left my phone with my daughter and called several times. The firefighter answered my phone," she said.

As Davis sifted through the charred remains left behind by a fast-moving fires, she is reminded that this could have been a lot worse.

"I'm very grateful that the firefighters were able to conquer and get my kids out," she said.

Fire investigators are working to determine the cause of the blaze and are looking into if a space heater could be to blame. Firefighters said they didn't notice any smoke detectors in the home.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.