Woman died of carbon monoxide poisoning in Jackson apartment fir - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Woman died of carbon monoxide poisoning in Jackson apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
(Source: KFVS multimedia journalist Mike Mohundro) (Source: KFVS multimedia journalist Mike Mohundro)
(Source: KFVS multimedia journalist Mike Mohundro) (Source: KFVS multimedia journalist Mike Mohundro)
(Source: KFVS multimedia journalist Mike Mohundro) (Source: KFVS multimedia journalist Mike Mohundro)
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:26 AM EDT2014-07-25 10:26:48 GMT
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.

  • Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Thursday, July 24 2014 11:51 PM EDT2014-07-25 03:51:41 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
  • Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:00 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:00:14 GMT
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.
JACKSON, MO (KFVS) -

The autopsy results have been released for a woman who died in an apartment fire in Jackson Sunday afternoon.

According to Cape Girardeau Coroner John Clifton, 61-year-old Sandra Riggins of Jackson died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Missouri State Fire Marshal Communications Director Mike O'Connell said the fire was ruled accidental and the cause is listed as smoking materials.

It happened at an apartment complex in the 300 block of Shawnee Circle.

According to the Jackson Fire Department, the fire started in an apartment on a lower level. One person died in that apartment. The apartment sustained great fire and smoke damage.

There were no other injuries. However, some of the surrounding apartments do have smoke damage.

According to the fire department, Riggins was the only person in the apartment.


"My heart broke because as I was venturing here I was praying it wasn't my grandfather. And in return I was praying it wasn't one of my neighbors in the cul de sac that I live on. And when I got here and I seen the scene, I knew," said Robin Ogborn, a neighbor.

The Jackson Fire Department, Jackson Police Department, Cape Girardeau Fire Department, and Fruitland Fire Department assisted.


Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.