How to safely stay warm in frigid weather - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

How to safely stay warm in frigid weather

Posted: Updated:
Michael Kreiser has worked in worse weather, but the Shelby County Health Department knows not everyone has his experience. Michael Kreiser has worked in worse weather, but the Shelby County Health Department knows not everyone has his experience.
The Memphis Fire Department says when temperatures drop their fire calls go up. The Memphis Fire Department says when temperatures drop their fire calls go up.
Fires do not just start with space heaters they can start with burning candles, fire places, even electrical cords. Fires do not just start with space heaters they can start with burning candles, fire places, even electrical cords.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:26 AM EDT2014-07-25 10:26:48 GMT
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.

  • Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Thursday, July 24 2014 11:51 PM EDT2014-07-25 03:51:41 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
  • Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:00 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:00:14 GMT
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.
(WMC-TV) - As the temperatures drop, people across the Mid-South prepare for the frigid weather.

"It's frigid with the wind," said Michael Kreiser with Ferrell Paving.

Road construction crews widening the Interstate 40-240 interchange knew how to bundle up Thursday so their work did not stop in extreme temperatures.

"If it's a 100 degrees or it's 10 degrees, we're usually out here," he said.

Michael Kreiser has worked in worse weather, but the Shelby County Health Department knows not everyone has his experience.

"Bundle up, cover all different parts of your body," said Dr. Helen Morrow with the health department.

Morrow says cold stress or hypothermia can come on gradually and cause you to feel disoriented and sleepy. Click here for more tips on cold weather tips.

"Dress in layers. You lose a great deal of heat through your head, so make sure you cover your nose and mouth so you're not breathing in the cold air," said Morrow.

The health department also says avoid overexertion outside in these temperatures. It can cause a heart attack, which is a major cause of death in the winter.

In addition, the Memphis Fire Department says when temperatures drop their fire calls go up. It includes fires started from space heaters, candles, fireplaces and gas stoves alike.

Jon Raiford is all too familiar with the dangers of trying to stay warm during the winter months. Just before the holidays, his family's home went up in flames; six people inside got out safely, but the fire destroyed everything.

"When they caught fire my smoke detector went off any my son alerted everybody, and we just got out of the house," he said. 

A smoke detector saved lives in this particular case.

Firefighters determined the fire started in the front room because of a space heater, but it was just one of a handful of fires in the last month started by space heaters.

Fires do not just start with space heaters they can start with burning candles, fire places, even electrical cords. Experts say before you go to bed make sure all heaters are at least three feet away from curtains, bedding, or anything that can catch fire.

And never leave a heater unattended. Another thing to keep in mind: Do not use your gas stove to heat the house as you will run the risk of getting carbon monoxide poisoning. If you plug in a space heater try to avoiding using extension cords; they can overheat and catch fire too.

Get the latest from Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android | SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Copyright 2014 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.