January Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Janet Schug - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

January Teacher of the Month: Mrs. Janet Schug

BROOKLAND, AR (KAIT)- Janet Schug has been a kindergarten teacher at Brookland Elementary School for 38 years and has decided to retire at the end of the school year.

"I know that God has another job for me and so when he reveals it to me I am going to start something new," Schug said.

In her last year of teaching, Mrs. Janet Schug stresses to her students the importance of family.

"We have just tried to bond as a family so that everyone works with everybody else," she said. "I call them my kids because they spend more time with me than they do their own parents."

She also wants them to understand the importance of being kind to others.

"I tried to teach them the right way to act, the right way to treat somebody else to be concerned and to have human feelings for everybody," Schug said. "That we are all in this together no matter what color we are, no matter what religion we are."

She said she took some teaching classes in college and knew it was her calling.

"They're like little seeds and I try to plant them and get them going off to a good start so they next year they just keep growing," Schug said."

She said she feels she is a better teacher than when she started.

"I just try to meet everyone's needs where they start and go as far as they can," Schug said.

She said she feels she became a better teacher when she became a mother.

"Also learned that every child is individual and they are a special gift that God gave that parent and me for that year," Schug said.

And even though she will be moving on at the end of the year she knows she has more to do.

"It's time for me to move on,God's got something else for me to do," Schug said. "If there are hard years, we can make it through it and good ones come after that too. But I think I am learned more from my hard years than from my good years."

Schug grew up in Paragould and attended Arkansas State University. She is married with two kids.

Copyright 2014 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Two arrested in kidnapping of missing girl

Friday, February 23 2018 4:36 PM EST2018-02-23 21:36:59 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 8:36 AM EST2018-02-24 13:36:28 GMT

Two people were in custody Friday after their arrest on suspicion of kidnapping a Mississippi County girl.

• breaking

Dollar General decides to close South Caraway Road store

Dollar General decides to close South Caraway Road store

Thursday, February 22 2018 9:27 PM EST2018-02-23 02:27:45 GMT
    Thursday, February 22 2018 10:06 PM EST2018-02-23 03:06:27 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

According to company officials, the Dollar General store on South Caraway Road in the Highland Square shopping center is closing its doors.

Lake City officials take wait and see approach on flooding

Friday, February 23 2018 11:11 PM EST2018-02-24 04:11:18 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 11:42 PM EST2018-02-24 04:42:04 GMT
    A truck moves slowly Friday in Lake City as the town awaits any problems from flooding. (Source: KAIT-TV)A truck moves slowly Friday in Lake City as the town awaits any problems from flooding. (Source: KAIT-TV)

Heavy rains have impacted areas throughout Northeast Arkansas while officials in Lake City said Friday they are doing fine after a much-needed break in the rain.