Space heaters leading cause of house fires in January - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

Space heaters leading cause of house fires in January

TOLEDO, OH (Toledo News Now) -

Space heaters are the number one cause of house fires in January. Are you doing everything you can to keep your family safe?

In the past, this month has been deemed one of the most dangerous for heating-related fires. Officials say prevention is key when it comes to protecting your home this winter because heat sources can be hazardous if you aren't careful.

National statistics show heating equipment starts one out of every five house fires. Those fires cause more than 600 deaths per year.

"There are some precautions that we have to take when we think about space heaters. For those heaters, you always want to have about three feet around that," explained Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld with Toledo Fire and Rescue.

The three-foot radius serves as a safety zone to keep flammable material away from the heater.

"Things that normally may be OK in a home that does not have a space heater, once you introduce a space heater, you introduce an open flame," said Hertzfeld.

That open flame can potentially raise the temperature of the products around the heater and start a fire. Hertzfeld says space heaters should never be left unattended and they should not be running while you're asleep. 

"You want to see them in the main areas, dining room, kitchens...those types of areas where there is somebody around and they're close to a smoke alarm," suggested Hertzfeld.

Smoke detectors are another important factor in keeping your home safe. They can mean the difference between life and death.

Fire officials say if you're a resident of Toledo, there's no reason to not have a working smoke alarm because you can get one for free at any Toledo fire station.

Other fire safety tips:

-When plugging in electric heaters, make sure the outlet was designed to handle the load. Do not plug anything else into the socket with the heater.

-When using kerosene heaters, make sure you only use the correct fuel. The wrong fuel may cause a fire or explosion. Only fill to 90 percent. Kerosene will expand once indoors. After the heater has cooled, take it outside to refuel.

We want to help keep your family and home safe. Be sure to create an escape plan and practice drills to ensure that everyone knows what to do if there is a fire and smoke detectors sound. Following these tips can help you prevent a house fire this winter.

Mobile users, click on the "Video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Region 8 News</span><a class="customMoreLink" href="/Global/category.asp?C=4391" target="_top">More >></a>Region 8 NewsMore>>

  • I-40 Eastbound shutdown going into Memphis for active crime scene

    I-40 Eastbound shutdown going into Memphis for active crime scene

    Monday, May 21 2018 6:48 PM EDT2018-05-21 22:48:39 GMT
    (Source: ARDOT)(Source: ARDOT)

    Interstate 40 going into Memphis has been shut down due to an active crime scene.  

    Interstate 40 going into Memphis has been shut down due to an active crime scene.  

  • Suspect in custody, man's body found with gunshot wounds in Butler Co., MO

    Suspect in custody, man's body found with gunshot wounds in Butler Co., MO

    Monday, May 21 2018 6:44 PM EDT2018-05-21 22:44:53 GMT

    A suspect is in custody after the body of a man was found in Butler County, Missouri on Sunday, May 20.

    A suspect is in custody after the body of a man was found in Butler County, Missouri on Sunday, May 20.

  • Organization donates first aid kit to K9 officer

    Organization donates first aid kit to K9 officer

    Monday, May 21 2018 6:06 PM EDT2018-05-21 22:06:46 GMT
    Monday, May 21 2018 6:15 PM EDT2018-05-21 22:15:30 GMT
    (Source: Protecting K9 Heroes via Facebook)(Source: Protecting K9 Heroes via Facebook)
    (Source: Protecting K9 Heroes via Facebook)(Source: Protecting K9 Heroes via Facebook)

    Thanks to a donation, the Cleburne County K9 officer now has a first aid medical kit.

    Thanks to a donation, the Cleburne County K9 officer now has a first aid medical kit.

Powered by Frankly