Sisters meet crew who rescued them from house fire - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports


Sisters meet crew who rescued them from house fire


A 15-year-old girl is credited with saving her younger sister from a burning home, and fire officials have released the 911 tapes from that fire.

Nicole Davis' daughters are lucky to be alive after they were pulled from a burning home unconscious.

Ni'Kia and 5-year-old D'Erica were home alone at East 69th Street and Myrtle Avenue in December. Their mother wasn't home, but the kids had her cell phone and she called in several times to check up on them.

While their mother was gone, though, the house caught fire. Police officers were the first on scene after they responded to a 911 call from a girl experiencing shortness of breath.

"I need you to take some deep breaths, OK. I want you to breathe. Ma'am, breathe through your nose and out through your mouth," the 911 dispatcher says.

The woman was trying to calm down a screaming girl on the other end, who turned out to be Ni'Kia.

Firefighters found the sisters in the back bedroom unconscious. 

On Thursday the girls got the chance to meet their firefighter heroes, and it was hugs all around.

"I get to say thank you to them for saving my life. They are heroes to me. If it wasn't for them, me and my sister wouldn't be standing here as we speak," Ni'Kia said.

"It's just a really good feeling, you know? To see those two beautiful faces come in, smiling, full of life. You know, it just feels really good," said Kansas City firefighter Phil Atwood.

Ni'Kia managed to call 911, then used her own body to cover D'Erica before the two passed out a short time later.

"I think she did an amazing job considering everything that was going on. You know, to think about her little sister like she did, and to try and protect her, that says a lot about her," Atwood said.

"I don't think of it as being a hero. It's just being a big sister. This is my everything right here," Ni'Kia said.

The girls suffered smoke inhalation, but both have made a full recovery thanks to the quick work of not only police, but also firefighters. Ni'Kia is already back at practice with her basketball team at Hogan Preparatory Academy.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly