JONESBORO, Ark. (AStateRedWolves.com) – The Arkansas State University indoor track and field teams achieved success at home as the Red Wolves registered a combined 16 top three-place performances at this Friday's (Jan. 24) 2014 A-State Invitational, which was held inside the Convocation Center in Jonesboro, Ark.
Arkansas State, which had a full compliment of competitors for both teams in the non-scoring meet, produced 10 top three-place efforts on the women's side while the men's squad turned in six such performances.
Senior Sharika Nelvis, a two-time second-team All-America selection, paced the Red Wolves by winning the 55-meter hurdles and 200-meter dash events. Nelvis ran a 7.72 time in the 55-meter hurdles to cross the finish line first and sprinted a 24.09 in the 200 meters to capture the top placing. Sophomore Emenderlyn Iwuji won the triple jump with a mark of 37-07.75/11.47m and first-place honors were bestowed upon junior Kristina Aubert, who clocked a 9:59.22 time in the 3,000 meters.
The men's team earned first place in two field events as senior Richard Chavez's shot put throw of 65-06.75/19.98m was a winning mark while senior Kashef Daniel earned first place in the high jump by clearing the bar at 6-11.75/2.13m.
"We had some solid performances so overall it was a pretty good day for us," said A-State head coach Jim Patchell. "Our distance runners really performed well as did Richard Chavez in the shot put and Sharika Nelvis in the hurdles. We're still a little rusty in some areas (due to the layoff) but I'm happy where we're at right now."
Besides Sharika Nelvis' performance, the A-State women's squad received a pair of runner-up finishes from Emenderlyn Iwuji. She ran an 8.16 time in the 55-meter hurdles to place behind Nelvis and lead the Red Wolves in the long jump by chalking up a distance of 37-07.75/11.47m. Junior Rexi Parcells garnered second place in the one mile run following a 5:00.43 time and freshman sprinter Erika Christian's 58.70 time in the 200 meters was good enough for second.
A-State would add a pair of third-place showings in its second home meet of the indoor season as senior Kim Ludick-Raath had a 44-02.00/13.46m effort in the shot put and the 4x400-meter relay team of sophomore Sabrina Antimo, sophomore Macey Rodely, Erika Christian, and sophomore Charlotte Williams produced a 4:04.03 time.
Sophomore Wil Norris and senior Shane Heathcock would each notch a second-place performance to contribute to the Red Wolves' success in the home meet. Norris ran an 8:40.32 time in the 3,000 meters and Heathcock vaulted 17-01.50/5.22m in the pole vault. Sophomore Billy Ellis managed a third-place 7.71 time in the 55-meter hurdles while freshman Brandon Lombardino netted a throw of 53-01.00/16.18m in the shot put to attain third-place accolades.
Prior to the A-State Invitational, the last time the Red Wolves participated with a full squad was back on Dec. 1 at their season-opening ASU Kickoff Klassic.
A-State is on the road next weekend, Jan. 31-Feb. 1, as the Red Wolves participate in the Indiana Relays at IU's Gladstein Fieldhouse in Bloomington, Ind.
2014 A-State Invitational
3. Billy Ellis, 7.71
13. Tahshon Reese, 22.78
16. Jamal Jones, 22.86
42. Clint Ligon, 23.61
8. Seth Thompson, 50.94
36. Billy Ellis, 55.84
12. Denton Postlewait, 2:00.65
15. Ryan Pett, 2:01.13
17. Andre Walker, 2:04.31
21. Shane Lopez, 2:07.02
2. Wil Norris, 8:40.32
Distance Medley Relay
6. A-State ‘B' (Ryan Pett, Mark Talarico, Zach VanGundy, Kolby Jones), 11:06.62
8. A-State ‘A' (Jesse Duvall, Andre Walker, Kyle Somerville, Luke Lindsley), 11:08.44
10. A-State ‘C' (Devin Reed, Shane Lopez, Denton Postlewait, Clint Ligon), 11:29.58
11. A-State ‘A' (Devin Noel, Seth Thompson, Foster Ngowe, Jamil Peeples), 3:34.10
One Mile Run
5. Kyle Somerville, 4:30.53
6. Jesse Duvall, 4:31.32
12. Zach VanGundy, 4:45.43
13. Mark Talarico, 4:45.49
14. Brock Westerman, 4:50.51
16. Rhett Raibley, 4:51.93
17. Roosevelt Barnett, 5:03.28
1. Kashef Daniel, 6-11.75/2.13m
6. Jamil Peeples, 21-10.75/6.67m
19. Clint Ligon, 19-02.00/5.84m
2. Shane Heathcock, 17-01.50/5.22m
5T. Ethan Sandusky, 15-11.75/4.87m
1. Richard Chavez, 65-06.75/19.98m
3. Brandon Lombardino, 53-01.00/16.18m
12. Tyler Lingo, 47-02.25/14.38m
5. Richard Chavez, 62-07.25/19.08m
6. Chris Nicasio, 61-11.00/18.87m
12. Tyler Lingo, 49-11.25/15.22m
1. Sharika Nelvis, 7.72
2. Emenderlyn Iwuji, 8.16
1. Sharika Nelvis, 24.09
5. Erika Christian, 25.64
25. Charlotte Williams, 26.80
36. Shakeria Marshall, 27.73
2. Erika Christian, 58.70
11. Charlotte Williams, 1:01.01
17. Sharkeria Marshall, 1:01.84
22. Macey Rodely, 1:02.48
26. Kristi Houck, 2:50.41
1. Kristina Aubert, 9:59.22
5. Tilda Helgesson, 10:14.76
16. Lindsay Mills, 11:15.32
25. Zoie Wilson, 12:08.27
One Mile Run
2. Rexi Parcells, 5:00.43
5. Abbey Dixon, 5:12.74
Distance Medley Relay
6. A-State ‘A' (Chelsey Roberson, Ashleigh Price, Heather Hammett, Tilda Helgesson), 13:09.36
8. A-State ‘B' (Abbey Dixon, Kristi Houck, Brianne Murphy, Lindsay Mills), 13:23.53
9. A-State ‘C' (Bailey Sisson-Eller, Rexi Parcells, Heather Newberry, Zoie Wilson), 13:45.67
3. A-State ‘A" (Sabrina Antimo, Macey Rodely, Erika Christian, Charlotte Williams), 4:04.03
1. Emenderlyn Iwuji, 37-07.75/11.47m
10. Jasmine Marks, 34-07.50/10.55m
2. Emenderlyn Iwuji, 18-02.25/5.54m
12. Jasmine Marks, 15-10.50/4.84m
8. Kiarra Simpson, 47-05.00/14.45m
9. Erin Farmer, 46-10.25/14.28m
3. Kim Raath, 44-02.00/13.46m
8. Erin Farmer, 41-03.00/12.75m
15. Macey Rodely, 37-01.75/11.32m
21. Kiarra Simpson, 32-00.75/9.77m
15. Megan Wright, 10-06.25/3.21m