ASU Baseball opens season with series versus Miami (OH)
JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The 66th season of baseball will get underway this weekend when Arkansas State hosts Miami (Ohio) in a three-game series Feb. 14-16 at Tomlinson Stadium. Opening night is set for Friday, Feb. 14 at 6 p.m. where senior right-hander Bradley Wallace will take the hill on Friday night for just the second time in his career at A-State. Junior left-hander Chandler Hawkins will get the call on Satruday, while sophomore David Owen is slated to pitch Sunday's finalie. A-State is 33-32 all-time on opening night and 3-2 under head coach Tommy Raffo. The Red Wolves have won 23 straight opening night games but lost the only matchup with the Redhawks in 1992 4-0. For in-game updates follow @AStateGameDay for the latest information. Friday and Sunday's games will be 95.3 The Ticket while Saturday's game will be on 101.3 FM.
LHP Chandler Hawkins (Jr., 2-5, 6.24 ERA 42K, 29BB)
RHP Nathan Williams (Jr., 4-5, 5.29 ERA, 48K, 43BB)
SUNDAY (1 p.m.) vs MIAMI
RHP David Owen (So. 2-2, 7.33 ERA, 25K, 15BB)
RHP Ryan Powers (Jr. 1-3, 4.54 ERA, 22K, 9BB)
A-STATE/MIAMI (OHIO) SERIES
• Arkansas State and Miami have met just one time with the Red Hawks earning a 4-0 victory in a tournament that was hosted by UTPA.
A-STATE IN SEASON OPENERS
• The Red Wolves are 33-32 all-time on opening day. Arkansas State won its season opener a year ago, defeating Bradley 10-5 at home.
• The Red Wolves have won 23 straight home openers dating back to the 1991 season.
• A-State is 3-2 in season openers under head coach Tommy Raffo, having defeated Bradley in 2013, Illinois in 2010 and Texas State in 2009.
PRESEASON SBC ALL-CONFERENCE HONORS
• Redshirt junior infielder Zach George was named to the 2014 Preseason All-Sun Belt
Conference team, the first such honor of his career.
• George hit .333 a season ago but played just nine games before suffering a season-ending knee injury at Sam Houston State before the start of conference play. Despite the injury, George managed to hit one home run and drive in five runs and stole one base.
• In 2012, the Paragould, Ark., native finished the year with a .270 batting average and started in 52 of the Red Wolves' 57 games. He added six home runs and was second on the team with 41 RBIs. His 86 total bases and, .430 slugging percentage each ranked as the third best on the team.
WALLACE RECOGNIZED AS TOP SENIOR
• A-State senior pitcher Bradley Wallace was named as the top 100 seniors in the class of 2014 by Perfect Game USA.
• Wallace was selected as the 28th best senior baseball player in the class of 2014 and the 16th best right-handed pitcher in the class. He was one of just two players from the Sun Belt
Conference on the list with Louisiana-Lafayette first basemen Chase Compton ranking 61st.
COLLEGESPORTSMADDNESS.COM HONORS WALLACE
• Arkansas State senior pitcher Bradley Wallace was as a Preseason Second Team All-Conference selection by CollegeSportsMaddness.com
• Wallace finished the 2013 season with a 5-2 record and a 4.33 ERA and was the Red Wolves' No. 2 starter on a pitching staff that set the school record for most strikeouts in season. He had 78 punch outs in 70.2 innings of work and had the second most wins of any pitcher on the team.
STREAKS TO WATCH
Player No. Streak Type
Dustin Jones 11 Hits
Dustin Jones 11 Reached Base
Zach George 9 Reached Base
472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401