Smoking material to blame for fire at apartment complex - KAIT-Jonesboro, AR-News, weather, sports

Smoking material to blame for fire at apartment complex

Posted: Updated:
Two apartments suffered fire damage and two suffered smoke damage. Two apartments suffered fire damage and two suffered smoke damage.
Officials with the Wilmington Fire Department say improperly discarded smoking material caused a fire at an apartment complex Sunday. Officials with the Wilmington Fire Department say improperly discarded smoking material caused a fire at an apartment complex Sunday.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Region 8 News Investigates: Bacteria in the water

    Thursday, July 24 2014 11:45 PM EDT2014-07-25 03:45:18 GMT
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.
    An abundance of lakes and rivers means no shortage of swimmers in Region 8 but not every body of water is one you want to swim in.

  • Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Central Baptist Church goes 'To-The-Block' to party

    Thursday, July 24 2014 11:51 PM EDT2014-07-25 03:51:41 GMT
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
    JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - A Region 8 church is taking its message to the streets.Members of Central Baptist Church’s Word Campus hosted a “To-The-Block Party” at Cedar Manor Apartments Thursday evening. The church has hosted a block party in a North Jonesboro neighborhood for three consecutive weeks in an effort to build relationships with each community."Instead of always trying to ask them to come to us we felt like it was important that we just picked up our lives and brought our lives to mee...
  • Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Mayor of Caruthersville killed in house fire

    Thursday, July 24 2014 3:00 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:00:14 GMT
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.
    The mayor of Caruthersville was killed in a fire at his home Wednesday night.

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Officials with the Wilmington Fire Department say improperly discarded smoking material caused a fire at an apartment complex Sunday.

Officials say the call came in around 2:50 a.m. from 1206 Columbus Circle, in the Chateau Terrace Apartment Complex.

When crews arrived on scene, they say flames were visible from the outside of the building.

One resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said they were driving home and spotted what looked like embers and fire in the sky above the complex. The resident said when they got closer they realized the apartment was on fire. They said they called 9-1-1 and went door-to-door getting neighbors up and out of the building.

Neighbors said they were grateful for wake up call. One resident said she was asleep and didn't realize the apartment next door was on fire, she said things could have been much worse.

Officials estimate $30,000 in damages to the building; two apartments sustained damage from the flames and two others were damaged by the smoke.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401
(870) 931-8888

FCC Public File
publicfile@kait8.com
(870) 336-1816
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KAIT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.