JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State University men's basketball continues its regular-season finale home stand this Thursday (March 6) evening versus the ULM Warhawks in Sun Belt Conference (SBC) play at the Convocation Center in Jonesboro, Ark.
The Red Wolves have dropped their last two matchups after winning six of their previous seven encounters. A-State sports a 10-3 record at home this campaign.
Senior forward Kirk Van Slyke's 15.6 ppg. is tops for A-State, which is receiving 14.7 ppg. from senior guard Melvin Johnson III and 10.0 ppg. from senior forward Kendrick Washington. Both Van Slyke and Washington are averaging a team-leading 6.0 rpg. Sophomore guard Cameron Golden's 76 assists represents a team high as does Van Slyke's 30 blocked shots and senior guard Ed Townsel's 35 steals.
The Red Wolves have secured a berth to the 2014 Sun Belt Conference Championships to be held March 13-16 at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, La.
• A-State leads 32-22 in the all-time series. A-State is 23-5 at home, 8-17 on the road, and 1-0 at neutral sites.
• First Meeting – at ULM 104, A-State 91 - (1955 -- 1954-55)
• Last Meeting – at ULM 72, A-State 65 - (1/30/14)
• Last A-State win – A-State 87, at ULM 54 - (2/16/13)
• Last ULM win – at ULM 72, A-State 65 - (1/30/14)
• Last A-State win at home – at A-State 63, ULM 39 - (1/19/13)
• Last ULM win at A-State – ULM 70, at A-State 62 - (3/5/85)
• Last Season – A-State won 63-39 (1/19) at home; Won 87-54 (2/16) at ULM
• Current Streak – ULM, Won 1 - (1/30/14)
• Notes – A-State won seven of the last eight meetings and is averaging 71.0 ppg. (568 pts.) to ULM's 58.9 ppg. (471 pts.) average in that span ... A-State has a current seven-game home winning streak (2/17-07- 1/19/13). The Red Wolves are averaging 68.9 ppg. (482 pts.) while ULM has scored 58.6 ppg. (410 pts.) for a +10.3 ppg. difference ... Eight of the last 13 matchups have been decided by eight points or less, including four by three points or less ... Kendrick Washington is averaging 11.0 ppg. (22 pts.) and 5.5 rpg. (11 rebs.) in two career appearances against ULM while Ed Townsel has scored at a 10.3 ppg. (72 pts.) clip in seven games ... Melvin Johnson III tallied a career-high 27 points and had a team-most eight rebounds in this season's first matchup at ULM (1/30) while Kirk Van Slyke registered 15 points in the game.
• ULM, which is 3-7 in its last 10 contests, suffered a 61-46 conference home loss to Troy last Saturday (3/1) in Monroe, La. as the Warhawks dropped their third decision in the last four encounters. ULM is 3-9 on the road and 6-6 at home this campaign. Freshman guard Nick Coppola paced the Warhawks' with 10 points and junior forward-center Marvin Williams had nine points with seven rebounds off the bench. Senior forward Jayon James pulled down a game-leading nine boards in the contest.
• Junior forward Tylor Ongwae (16.2 ppg.), senior guard Amos Olatayo (13.2 ppg.), and Jayon James (10.0 ppg.) are ULM's top scorers as the three have totaled 52.6 percent (815-1,549) of the Warhawks' points production. James (6.2 rpg.), Ongwae (5.8 rpg.) and Olatayo (5.3 rpg.) lead ULM in rebounding.
• The Warhawks rank seventh in fewest fouls (441) among NCAA-I statistical leaders thru games of March 2 and are 142nd in scoring defense (68.9 ppg.), 279th in scoring margin (-4.4), and 311th in scoring offense (64.5 ppg.). Jayon James ranks 104th in assists per game (4.4) and 191st in total assists (105) while Tylor Ongwae is 182nd in points per game (16.2 ppg.).
• ULM compiled a 4-23 record overall for the 2012-13 season, which included a fifth-place 3-17 SBC West Division mark. The Warhawks were 3-9 at home, 1-13 on the road, and 0-1 at neutral sites last season.
• Head coach Keith Richard returned to his alma mater to become ULM's seventh head coach in April 2010 and is presently the Sun Belt Conference's 10th winningest coach in conference games. Prior to ULM, Richard spent two seasons (2008-10) as an assistant at LSU after serving as head coach at Louisiana Tech for nine seasons (1998-07). He was named the SBC's Coach of the Year in his first season (1998-99) at LA Tech and tallied the third-most victories in the program's history (150 wins). Richard also was an assistant coach at Louisiana Tech (1995-98), ULM (1989-94), and Marshall (1986-89). A two-time (1980-82) team captain at ULM, Richard spent two seasons (1984-86) as a graduate assistant for the Warhawks.
A-State has prevailed in six of its last nine games and is averaging 74.6 ppg. (671 pts.) while allowing 66.3 ppg. (597 pts.) for a +8.3 points per game difference. The Red Wolves are shooting 44.9 percent (210-468) of their field goal attempts compared to their opponent's 44.1 percent (212-481) field goal percentage in those nine outings.
SCHOOL RECORDS SET
A-State's 248 three-point field goals made this season in 647 attempts (38.3%) represents a program single-season record, shattering the 241 treys set by both the 2002-03 and 2006-07 teams. The Red Wolves also set a school mark for most three-point field goals attempted in a season with 647 total, besting the 633 triples tries by the 2012-13 squad. A-State went 12-of-37 versus Georgia State (3/4).
CLIMBING UP THE ALL-TIME LIST
Ed Townsel, who currently ranks in 19th place among A-State's all-time points leaders with 1,107 career points in 125 contests after scoring two points against Georgia State Tuesday (3/4) is four points away from moving into an 18th-place tie with Mike Burk (1964-68; 1,111 career points).
A CONVO RECORD
The Red Wolves' 37 three-point field goal attempts against Georgia State (3/4) is a Convocation Center record, eclipsing the 36 three-point tries in a 78-64 setback to Austin Peay on Nov. 22, 1999.