NEA Political Animals host Lt. Gov. candidates - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

NEA Political Animals host Lt. Gov. candidates

JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) – A pack of "political animals" gathered again in Jonesboro.

The group gathered Friday to listen to candidates running for Arkansas Lieutenant Governor.

The four candidates running for the office are: Democrat John Burkhalter, Republican Congressman Tim Griffin, Republican Representative Debra Hobbs, and Republic Representative Andy Mayberry.

When asked what they planned to tackle first, all four candidates had different responses.

Representative Andy Mayberry said, "To go agency by agency and sit down with front line employees who see inefficiencies that take place, but they've never been in power to do anything about it.  I want to be able to bring their ideas to a conservative legislature and to a conservative governor as ways to streamline government.  And that includes taking an introspective look at our own office."

John Burkhalter said, "I want to be the point person for the state of Arkansas for anyone who wants to start a business, build a business or bring a business.  I've built businesses my whole life.  I'm not a politician, I'm a small business guy and I want people to know that they can come to me and I'm gonna help give them direction."

Congressman Tim Griffin said, "The first thing I'm going to do is reduce the budget.  Work to reduce the budget of Lt. Governor office.  Just because I think after what we've been through in that office we need to send a signal to tax payers that we respect their money."

And Representative Debra Hobbs said, "I want to look at government accessibility and accountability.  I want to work on economic prosperity.  You probably know, being in the news industry, that almost 20% of the state's population lives in poverty and that is not acceptable."

We've posted the entire interview for all four candidates. Just click on the videos above this story.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.

Texas Roadhouse coming to Jonesboro

Monday, June 25 2018 12:09 PM EDT2018-06-25 16:09:53 GMT
    Monday, June 25 2018 1:50 PM EDT2018-06-25 17:50:50 GMT
    (Source: Texas Roadhouse website)(Source: Texas Roadhouse website)

There will be a new restaurant coming to Jonesboro next year.

There will be a new restaurant coming to Jonesboro next year.

Two probationers arrested after loaded rifle found

Monday, June 25 2018 11:50 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:50:09 GMT
    Monday, June 25 2018 12:47 PM EDT2018-06-25 16:47:28 GMT
    (Source: Mississippi County Sheriff's Office)(Source: Mississippi County Sheriff's Office)

Two people in Mississippi County were arrested last week after violating probation.

Sinkhole at Spring River continues to grow, official says

Friday, June 22 2018 7:28 PM EDT2018-06-22 23:28:30 GMT
    Monday, June 25 2018 11:31 AM EDT2018-06-25 15:31:49 GMT
    Officials are working to find a solution to a sinkhole on the Spring River in Fulton County. (Source: Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Facebook page)Officials are working to find a solution to a sinkhole on the Spring River in Fulton County. (Source: Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Facebook page)

A sinkhole in the Spring River in Fulton County where a man was killed earlier this month presents major safety issues as officials continue to work on a solution to the issue.