BIRMINGHAM (SECDigitalNetwork.com) - The SEC announced its weekly baseball honors on Monday.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Micheal Thomas • Kentucky
Senior • C • Elizabethtown, Ky.
• Thomas – the SEC leader in average – had a prolific week in leading Kentucky to a series win over No. 1 South Carolina. While catching all 36 innings in the four-game week, Thomas hit .412 (7-for-17), with five runs, two doubles, two homers and six RBI...Had two huge homers during the series win over South Carolina, including a go-ahead, three-run homer off lefty Jordan Montgomery on Friday night … Thomas then cranked a go-ahead homer in the Saturday 2-1 win over the Gamecocks, later adding a single
• … In a Tuesday win over Western Kentucky, Thomas went 3-for-5 with a double and a go-ahead RBI single … On the year, Thomas is the lone player in the SEC hitting over .400, sporting a .416 mark (32-for-77), with seven doubles, five homers and 28 RBI.
PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Trey Killian • Arkansas
Sophomore • RHP • Mountain Home, Ark.
• Trey Killian tossed his second straight complete game Saturday against Alabama, going 9.0 innings and giving up just one run on four hits, while striking out seven... He worked four perfect innings and retired 14 of the final 15 batters in the game.
• His seven strikeouts were two short of his career-high, as Killian has allowed just three earned runs over his last 24.0 innings of action... He is one of two pitchers in the SEC with multiple complete games.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Jared Poche' • LSU
LHP • Lutcher, La.
• True freshman left-hander Jared Poche' earned his first career SEC victory on Saturday with an exceptional performance against Georgia … Poche' worked 8.2 innings, limiting the Bulldogs to one run on three hits with two walks and six strikeouts.