Cardiology Q & A

Below are our archive of questions and answers in Cardiology.

Question 6/13/2002: For years I have had a "fluttering" in my heart. In the past 10 years it has gradually changed into a "ker-thunk". I had a full cardiac work-up including a monitor approx. 2 years ago and nothing was found. It takes my breath away and scares me when this happens.  It happens mostly when I'm tired or mentally stressed and is aggravated by laying on my right side. HELP!

Answer: Palpitations are not uncommon to have by people with normal hearts.  However, whenever the symptoms become so prevalent that it causes a disruption of your life, you need to have them evaluated further.  Also, arrthymias are sometimes difficult to track down. One effective tool is a cardiac event monitor.  This is a monitor that you wear for several days. Whenever, you feel the spells, you push a button and a recording is made. In this way we are more likely to capture the event ant know if it is something that needs to be treated. Ask your doctor if you can wear one of these.


Question 6/13/2002: 49 year's old white female with a pacemaker and is still passing out several times a day.  I am really concerned about what her condition is we are told to live with it.  She has no life since all this has started 2 months a go please give us some suggestions what it might be.  We all want her mom back!
Answer: She needs to see a cardiology electro-physiology specialist regarding the cardiac status first.  If everything checks out with the pacemaker, then a neurology appointment is the next step regarding these syncope episodes.

Date: 20020519
Question: I was wanting to know if you have to have high blood pressure when you have a heart attack? Friday afternoon around 2:30 I had a constant across my chest this lasted for about 2 hours then again Friday night around 6:30 p.m. The pain then went to my back between my shoulder blades. My blood pressure was checked and it was normal 114/80 and my pulse was good 64. What else could this have been? Thank you for your help in advance.
Answer: No, you do not have to have high blood pressure to have a heart attack....Many things may cause chest discomfort other than heart disease. However, with persistent symptoms, you need to see your family doctor for an evaluation of this pain. NEA Clinic - (870) 935-4150 (for appointment)

Question 4/21/2002: Is moderate aortic and moderate mitral valve regurgitation serious? And mild to moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation and pulmonary artery pressure at 37 mmHg with mild pulmonary hypertension. And moderate mitral valve regurgitation. Is this something to be concerned about?
Answer: Regurgitation is a leakage in the valves that you have stated. When someone has moderate leakages in this valve, this is something that we need to monitor. The other thing is that when there is a moderate leakage in the aortic valve, then one would need prophylaxis for an infection on this heart valve. You would need prophylaxis if you have any type of dental procedure such as tooth cleaning and/or tooth extraction. Also, if you had surgery in your mouth or surgery in your gastrointestinal or genitourinary systems. The pulmonary artery pressure of 37 mm of mercury is in the high normal if not mildly elevated range. Same symptoms, i.e. shortness of breath, is what you would monitor for this. I would continue follow-up with your physicians regarding these problems. NEA Clinic - (870) 935-4150 (for appointment)

Question 1/16/2002: I'm experiencing a "bubbling" feeling around my heart. I had an EEG or EKG at your clinic about 1 yr ago. (I don't remember which) What could be causing it? These spells usually last only a few seconds, usually occur in the evening when I lie down, but often profound enough to cause me to have to catch my breath.
Answer: This sensation may be that of cardiac palpitations. These extra beats may be coming from the top of the heart (PAC) or from the bottom (PVC). Nevertheless it is important to capture them, if possible to see what kind of beat these are. The most effective way to do this is the Holter monitor, or the event monitor. By wearing these devices over an extended period of time, we are likely to see if you have a significant arrhythmia. Depending on the type of extra beat and the frequency, we can tell how to treat. It sounds like you need to make a follow-up appointment.
NEA Clinic (870) 935-4150 (for appointment)