JONESBORO (AStateRedWolves.com) - The Arkansas State baseball team will travel to Cape Girardeau, Mo.,
for a midweek contest against Southeast Missouri State Tuesday evening
at 6 p.m. The Red Wolves are winners of 10 of their 14 games and are
looking to take the season midweek series from the Redhawks. A-State
defeated SEMO 8-3 in Jonesboro earlier in the season and will be looking
to win its fourth straight over SEMO.
Red Wolves are coming a weekend in which the squad took two of three
games from Texas State and moved into second place in the SBC standings.
SEMO is coming off a three-game sweep of UT-Martin and has won four out
of its last five games.
The game can be heard on 95.3FM The Ticket/970AM KNEA and in the StateZone at AStateRedWolves.com.
A-STATE/SEMO SERIES HISTORY
• This will the be the 63rd meeting all-time between A-State and SEMO.
• A-State leads the all-time series 34-29
• A-State won both games against the Redhawks last season, including an extra-inning match-up at SEMO.
• The series dates back to the 1959, a game in which A-State won 3-1.
• The teams met every year from 1959-1968 and then the series took a break until the 1988
season. Since then the teams have met for at least one game during the regular season.
• Drew Benes tied the all-time A-State record for doubles in game with three against SEMO in 2008.
GOING ERROR FREE
• The Arkansas State baseball team has gone 40 straight innings without committing an error.
• Its last error was in the eighth inning on March 9 against Creighton.
A POWER SURGE
• A-State hit three home runs in the last week to raise its season total to eight on the year.
• Austin Baker began the week with an inside-the-park home run, while Eric Wilcoxson hit his first career home run on March 29.
• Matt Burgess followed with a 2-run home run on March 30 to complete three home run week for the Red Wolves.
CATCHING FIRE AT THE RIGHT TIME
• A-State has won 10 out of its last 14 games included three straight Sun Belt Conference series.
• During the span the Red Wolves have a team batting average of .281, have outscored their opponents 95-57 and the pitching staff has held the opponents to a .256 batting average.
STARTING STRONG IN CONFERENCE
• A-State has started 7-2 in league play threw its first three series for the second in three years.
• The Red Wolves went 8-2 in 2011 and eventually to the finals of the SBC Tournament.
FROM A TO Z FRESHMEN PITCHERS STRONG IN RELIEF
A-State freshmen relievers Bryan Ayers and Tyler Zuber combined to
pitch 9 innings of shutout baseball in back-to-back relief appearances
on March 25-26.
Zuber pitched five innings in relief against Memphis on March 25 and
gave up just two hits and struck out three in the performance.
Ayers tossed four shutout innings in relief against Missouri State on
March 26 while giving up just one hit and striking out four.
NO FENCE NO PROBLEM
• Austin Baker hit an inside the park home run against Memphis on March 25 with one runner on base.
• The last inside the park home run was by Todd Baumgartner on March 23, 2011 against Lyon College.