5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Five people are now part of a class action lawsuit against the state health insurance exchange program.

Attorney Matthew Callister said he's been busy answering phone calls from people who claim they signed up for health insurance through the exchange and didn't receive it.

"I feel disappointed. I believe in the Affordable Care Act, but I can't get the coverage I want for my kids," said Kerry Leavitt.

Leavitt called the Nevada Health Exchange website worthless and said he wishes to add his name to the lawsuit. He said he's been trying to obtain health insurance for months with no luck.

"I feel basically, as a provider for my family … [I] can't provide," he said.

"There's a lot of fear – ‘I don't have coverage. What if something happens to me or my loved ones, especially after I contracted for and paid premiums?'" Callister said.

The Silver State Health Insurance Exchange was created last year to assist Nevadans in selecting a healthcare provider. The lawsuit was filed against the state and Xerox, the company that built the website.

"The state essentially is blaming Xerox, but I think there was a failure of due diligence on the part of the state," Callister said. "Sometimes the lowest bid is not the best bid."

When FOX5 reached out to the people behind the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange in preparation for this story, we were told they could not comment on pending legislation.

The lawsuit does not specify a damage amount, just that it's in excess of $50,000.

The state has awarded Deloitte Consulting a $1.5 million contract to repair the system.

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• breaking

OH woman and minor killed, 4 injured in HWY 412 crash

OH woman and minor killed, 4 injured in HWY 412 crash

Thursday, June 21 2018 10:32 PM EDT2018-06-22 02:32:52 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 3:22 AM EDT2018-06-22 07:22:02 GMT
    Crash kills 2, injures 4 in Lawrence County (Source: KAIT)Crash kills 2, injures 4 in Lawrence County (Source: KAIT)

An Ohio woman and a minor died in a Lawrence County crash Thursday night.

An Ohio woman and a minor died in a Lawrence County crash Thursday night.

Eight arrested in parole/probation searches in Poinsett County

Thursday, June 21 2018 6:03 PM EDT2018-06-21 22:03:23 GMT
    Thursday, June 21 2018 10:50 PM EDT2018-06-22 02:50:00 GMT

The searches, which were done by Poinsett County deputies and officers with the Arkansas Community Correction Department, were done in the Lepanto, Marked Tree and Payneway areas on June 20.

Local ball park association adding soccer league

Thursday, June 21 2018 9:11 PM EDT2018-06-22 01:11:32 GMT
    Thursday, June 21 2018 10:48 PM EDT2018-06-22 02:48:48 GMT
    Leachville Ball Park Association will offer soccer this year. (Source: KAIT-TV)Leachville Ball Park Association will offer soccer this year. (Source: KAIT-TV)

The Leachville Ball Park Association will now offer soccer for area kids.

The Leachville Ball Park Association will now offer soccer for area kids.