5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Five people are now part of a class action lawsuit against the state health insurance exchange program.

Attorney Matthew Callister said he's been busy answering phone calls from people who claim they signed up for health insurance through the exchange and didn't receive it.

"I feel disappointed. I believe in the Affordable Care Act, but I can't get the coverage I want for my kids," said Kerry Leavitt.

Leavitt called the Nevada Health Exchange website worthless and said he wishes to add his name to the lawsuit. He said he's been trying to obtain health insurance for months with no luck.

"I feel basically, as a provider for my family … [I] can't provide," he said.

"There's a lot of fear – ‘I don't have coverage. What if something happens to me or my loved ones, especially after I contracted for and paid premiums?'" Callister said.

The Silver State Health Insurance Exchange was created last year to assist Nevadans in selecting a healthcare provider. The lawsuit was filed against the state and Xerox, the company that built the website.

"The state essentially is blaming Xerox, but I think there was a failure of due diligence on the part of the state," Callister said. "Sometimes the lowest bid is not the best bid."

When FOX5 reached out to the people behind the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange in preparation for this story, we were told they could not comment on pending legislation.

The lawsuit does not specify a damage amount, just that it's in excess of $50,000.

The state has awarded Deloitte Consulting a $1.5 million contract to repair the system.

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Jonesboro native in London during attack

Wednesday, March 22 2017 7:36 PM EDT2017-03-22 23:36:51 GMT
    Wednesday, March 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-03-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Jenn Ulloa, an A-State graduate, is now studying at SOAS, University of London. (Source: Jenn Ulloa)Jenn Ulloa, an A-State graduate, is now studying at SOAS, University of London. (Source: Jenn Ulloa)

Jenn Ulloa, an International Studies and Diplomacy student at SOAS, University of London, a little nervous after terrorist incident

• breaking

Man held without bond in capital murder case

Man held without bond in capital murder case

Tuesday, March 21 2017 4:16 PM EDT2017-03-21 20:16:00 GMT
    Wednesday, March 22 2017 7:38 PM EDT2017-03-22 23:38:31 GMT

According to Blytheville Police Captain Scott Adams, an 18-year-old man was arrested Monday on suspicion of two counts of capital murder in connection with a Nov. 2016 shooting.

Jonesboro boy becomes star of MLB spring training

Wednesday, March 22 2017 6:52 PM EDT2017-03-22 22:52:59 GMT
    Wednesday, March 22 2017 7:05 PM EDT2017-03-22 23:05:55 GMT
    (Source: Brandie Lieblong)(Source: Brandie Lieblong)

A local baseball star got a dream come true this spring break.

A local baseball star got a dream come true this spring break.