5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Five people are now part of a class action lawsuit against the state health insurance exchange program.

Attorney Matthew Callister said he's been busy answering phone calls from people who claim they signed up for health insurance through the exchange and didn't receive it.

"I feel disappointed. I believe in the Affordable Care Act, but I can't get the coverage I want for my kids," said Kerry Leavitt.

Leavitt called the Nevada Health Exchange website worthless and said he wishes to add his name to the lawsuit. He said he's been trying to obtain health insurance for months with no luck.

"I feel basically, as a provider for my family … [I] can't provide," he said.

"There's a lot of fear – ‘I don't have coverage. What if something happens to me or my loved ones, especially after I contracted for and paid premiums?'" Callister said.

The Silver State Health Insurance Exchange was created last year to assist Nevadans in selecting a healthcare provider. The lawsuit was filed against the state and Xerox, the company that built the website.

"The state essentially is blaming Xerox, but I think there was a failure of due diligence on the part of the state," Callister said. "Sometimes the lowest bid is not the best bid."

When FOX5 reached out to the people behind the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange in preparation for this story, we were told they could not comment on pending legislation.

The lawsuit does not specify a damage amount, just that it's in excess of $50,000.

The state has awarded Deloitte Consulting a $1.5 million contract to repair the system.

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Oregon County authorities investigating suspicious death as a homicide

Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:55 AM EST2018-02-21 16:55:25 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 9:26 PM EST2018-02-24 02:26:28 GMT
    (Source: Oregon County Sheriff's Office via Facebook)(Source: Oregon County Sheriff's Office via Facebook)

According to an autopsy result, law enforcement announced they're investigating the death of Walter L. Earls of Thayer, Mo as a homicide.

• breaking

UPDATE: ASP investigating deadly Rector shooting

UPDATE: ASP investigating deadly Rector shooting

Thursday, February 22 2018 11:08 PM EST2018-02-23 04:08:48 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 9:01 PM EST2018-02-24 02:01:49 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

Arkansas State Police are investigating a possible home invasion in Rector that left one man dead.

Tornado siren fixed and ready following repairs

Friday, February 23 2018 8:15 PM EST2018-02-24 01:15:16 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 8:50 PM EST2018-02-24 01:50:45 GMT

The tornado siren in one area town is ready for service should severe weather strike after undergoing repairs.