5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange - KAIT Jonesboro, AR - Region 8 News, weather, sports

5 join lawsuit against state insurance exchange

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Five people are now part of a class action lawsuit against the state health insurance exchange program.

Attorney Matthew Callister said he's been busy answering phone calls from people who claim they signed up for health insurance through the exchange and didn't receive it.

"I feel disappointed. I believe in the Affordable Care Act, but I can't get the coverage I want for my kids," said Kerry Leavitt.

Leavitt called the Nevada Health Exchange website worthless and said he wishes to add his name to the lawsuit. He said he's been trying to obtain health insurance for months with no luck.

"I feel basically, as a provider for my family … [I] can't provide," he said.

"There's a lot of fear – ‘I don't have coverage. What if something happens to me or my loved ones, especially after I contracted for and paid premiums?'" Callister said.

The Silver State Health Insurance Exchange was created last year to assist Nevadans in selecting a healthcare provider. The lawsuit was filed against the state and Xerox, the company that built the website.

"The state essentially is blaming Xerox, but I think there was a failure of due diligence on the part of the state," Callister said. "Sometimes the lowest bid is not the best bid."

When FOX5 reached out to the people behind the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange in preparation for this story, we were told they could not comment on pending legislation.

The lawsuit does not specify a damage amount, just that it's in excess of $50,000.

The state has awarded Deloitte Consulting a $1.5 million contract to repair the system.

Copyright 2014 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Vigil held for victims of domestic violence

Thursday, September 21 2017 11:22 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:22:43 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 11:39 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:39:16 GMT

Arkansas State University wrapped up its Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Awareness week with a special vigil dedicated to victims who have died because of relationship violence.

Police department to get new patrol units

Thursday, September 21 2017 11:19 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:19:58 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 11:25 PM EDT2017-09-22 03:25:48 GMT

The Tuckerman Police Department fleet will soon see some upgrades after the city was awarded a $50,000 grant.

Lyft headed to Jonesboro

Thursday, September 21 2017 9:54 PM EDT2017-09-22 01:54:53 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 10:39 PM EDT2017-09-22 02:39:10 GMT
    (Source: Lyft via Twitter)(Source: Lyft via Twitter)

A nationally known ride-sharing company is now operating in Jonesboro as well as several other cities in the state.