Jalen Beeks & Chris Oliver named SEC Co-Pitchers of the Week
BIRMINGHAM (SECDigitalNetwork.com) - The SEC announced its weekly baseball honors Monday, which include a co-pitcher of the week distinction for LSU's Aaron Nola.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
A.J. Reed • Kentucky
Junior • LHP/1B • Terre Haute, Ind.
• Reed belted home runs in all three games of Kentucky's series win
over No. 12 Florida, batting .500 during a four-game week that included
a win over No. 8 Louisville, while also working seven shutout innings
on the mound for a Friday night win vs. UF … In a week where Reed was
named the midseason national player of the year by Perfect Game, Reed
cranked three doubles and hit a homer in each game vs. the Gators, going
8-for-12 in the series with five runs and six RBI, sporting a 1.667
slugging and a .733 on-base percentage.
• On the year, Reed – the only player in the nation from a BCS
conference with eight or more homers – leads the SEC with 12 homers and
39 RBI at the plate, hitting .377, while owning a 6-1 record and a 1.93
ERA in eight Friday-night starts on the mound.
• In the series-opener vs. Florida on Friday, Reed worked seven
shutout innings on the mound, scattering five singles, while also going
3-for-4 at the plate with two doubles and a homer … On Saturday, Reed
went 2-for-4 with four RBI and his 11th homer of the year, a three-run
job … In the rubber-match win on Sunday vs. UF, Reed collected his
second three-hit game of the weekend, belting a double and hitting a
PITCHERS OF THE WEEK
Jalen Beeks • Arkansas
Junior • LHP • Prairie Grove, Ark.
• Jalen Beeks threw his second complete game of the season against
No. 1 South Carolina Friday evening, allowing just four hits and one
unearned run, while striking out a career-high nine batters. earned run
average to 1.05 in 51.2 innings of work on the season.
• He became just the fourth player in the SEC to throw multiple
complete games as he lowered his earned run average to 1.05 in 51.2
innings of work on the season.
• Beeks held the No. 1 team in the country to one hit over the
final four innings and handed South Carolina just its fourth loss in 30
games on the year.
Chris Oliver • Arkansas
Junior • RHP • Farmington, Ark.
• Oliver rose to the challenge in the rubber game of the series
against top-ranked South Carolina, throwing 8.0 shutout innings and
baffling the Gamecock hitters. He recorded a career-high 10 strikeouts
and became the first Arkansas pitcher since Ryne Stanek in 2012 against
No. 15 LSU to record double-digit strikeouts in a contest.
• Oliver struck out the side in the eighth inning to put an
exclamation mark on his third win of the season. He surrendered four
hits and never allowed a South Carolina player to reach third base. The
Razorbacks went on to record their seventh shutout of the season.
Aaron Nola • LSU
Junior • RHP • Baton Rouge, La.
• Aaron Nola fired eight shutout innings to defeat No. 9
Mississippi State on Friday … Nola limited the Bulldogs to just two
singles while recording two walks and 10 strikeouts.
• He fired 116 pitches and did not give up a hit until the sixth
inning on a lead-off single … Nola allowed just one Bulldog base runner
to advance beyond first base.
• Nola improved to 6-1 on the year and lowered his ERA to 0.47 … in
57 innings, he's recorded 11 walks and 71 strikeouts, and opponents are
hitting just. 141 against him.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Hunter Webb • Alabama
LF • Phenix City, Ala.
• Started all four games, posting a .417 average with two doubles,
three runs scored and two RBI … drove in the game-winning run with a
1-out double in the ninth inning of the series finale at Texas A&M,
lifting the Tide to their first road series win of the season.
• Hitting ninth in the order, he hit .444 with two RBI and three
runs scored in the Texas A&M series … had four sacrifice bunts that
produced three runs for the Tide, including two against UL-Monroe and
the eventual game-winning run in game one at Texas A&M.
472 Craighead Co. 766
Jonesboro, AR 72401